• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enterprise Brown & Hirst .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerdog

32 Cal
Reaction score
Found this in a pawn shop a few days before Christmas, needs work but I couldn't pass it up for $125. I've wanted a small bore full stocked rifle for some time and this should scratch the itch. Something is broken in the lock, I suspect mainspring but won't know until I disassemble the gun. Wood also needs repaired, missing a small chip at the muzzle and a chunk over the lock. The wood looks promising, can't wait to see how it turns out. My plan is a complete disassembly, boil and card the barrel and lock then assess and go from there.

Pics coming soon.

Just separated almost everything. looks like I have a bigger project than I thought. It had roll pins in the stock holding the barrel on and a recent manufacture lock… where on earth will I find one?
I’m still hopeful to restore this old gun.

IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1247.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1245.jpeg

Bown and Hirth is an old Pgh. , Pa. made gun. The looks of your's is the same as the one a friend had that I worked on 40 yrs. ago. His was rifled .40 cal. , plain maple stock. The guy that put roll pins in the barrel under lugs , and looks like one in the front , and rear trigger guard pin lugs , did you no favors. To fix the errant roll pin holes , I would inlet square wood patches just large enough to cover the holes , and epoxie them in place. You'll be amazed how the wood patches will blend in if the finish is touched up. Be cautious , perhaps have another person do the work , if your unfamilier with it.

Welcome to my world of "Projects". Guns that "just need" ...a few parts, refinishing, re-bore, ..or a new home. Those that I can say turned out well were those where all parts & materials were gathered BEFORE starting the job. Too many projects get started then must be set aside b/c of missing parts, unseen cracks, bulged barrel, etc. Go for it and have FUN!!

Well that’s a cool find! You got nothing to loose, how’s the bore? If it’s good and you can get it shootable then it can be a beater .32 that would be fun in the woods and to shoot and your not worried about the bumps and scratches guns tend to get 😁

Bown and Hirth is an old Pgh. , Pa. made gun. The looks of your's is the same as the one a friend had that I worked on 40 yrs. ago. His was rifled .40 cal. , plain maple stock. The guy that put roll pins in the barrel under lugs , and looks like one in the front , and rear trigger guard pin lugs , did you no favors. To fix the errant roll pin holes , I would inlet square wood patches just large enough to cover the holes , and epoxie them in place. You'll be amazed how the wood patches will blend in if the finish is touched up. Be cautious , perhaps have another person do the work , if your unfamilier with it.
Hmm... hadn't considered small inlays for the pin holes. I have some Box Elder maple laying around that may blend with the old wood. At least it's a wood of the same species I believe.
Finding a compatible lock is now my biggest hurdle.

I own a few BP guns but I am still a neophyte in the blackpowder world and am not familiar with parts sources.

Well that’s a cool find! You got nothing to loose, how’s the bore? If it’s good and you can get it shootable then it can be a beater .32 that would be fun in the woods and to shoot and your not worried about the bumps and scratches guns tend to get 😁
Rifling is almost non-existent an inch or so near the muzzle, I'll have a better idea after a boil and clean this evening.
I don't mind if it isn't great, minute of squirrel at 20-30 yards will be fine with me. I just want a small bore plinker and this will fill that role perfectly.
Should be a fun project, as if I need more of those. :rolleyes::)

Welcome to my world of "Projects". Guns that "just need" ...a few parts, refinishing, re-bore, ..or a new home. Those that I can say turned out well were those where all parts & materials were gathered BEFORE starting the job. Too many projects get started then must be set aside b/c of missing parts, unseen cracks, bulged barrel, etc. Go for it and have FUN!!
Totally agree with that. I have project guns of other types boxed up and ready to build should I ever get around to it. This one will get a thorough clean and oil then probably set aside until I scrounge parts.

U might look to L + R for a quality Percussion lock. Try On line at the Track of the Wolf catalog. Also , Log Cabin Shop , on line catalog. They also sell the R.E. Davis locks. If the new lock isn't perfect fit , Just judiciously epoxie some maple wood in the lock mortise , and after replacing the drum and nipple , inlet the new lock using the new drum as a guide post until it's in position desired. I've restored several old percussion rifles , with 100% success. Might as well order a new percussion drum and nipple with the lock. Hope this helps ya.

U might look to L + R for a quality Percussion lock. Try On line at the Track of the Wolf catalog. Also , Log Cabin Shop , on line catalog. They also sell the R.E. Davis locks. If the new lock isn't perfect fit , Just judiciously epoxie some maple wood in the lock mortise , and after replacing the drum and nipple , inlet the new lock using the new drum as a guide post until it's in position desired. I've restored several old percussion rifles , with 100% success. Might as well order a new percussion drum and nipple with the lock. Hope this helps ya.
Thanks for the list of suppliers, I knew of TOW but not the others.

The nipple and drum are in sad shape but came out shockingly easily. The bore, while filthy, is also cleaning up better than expected. After a few passes with a brush rifling emerged and albeit shallow, there's enough to spin the cleaning rod as I run patches through it.
It soaked in solvent overnight, I'll continue cleaning later today.

Started stripping the wood, haven't removed the ferrules yet. Thankfully Simple Green is all I've needed so far, no poly or lacquer appears to have ever been applied.
I'm finding red oxide in a few places, would a soak in vinegar damage the wood?
IMG_1280.jpeg

Last edited:
Back