• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Choice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to ditto what others have said.
If you are talking a "Hawken" rifle, you are not talking about those factory made and/or imports.
Check yer budget and start shopping for a custom built.

flehto said:
My time on this Stith Hawken was 80 hrs but I'm not doing this for a living.....Fred

HawkenFullS.jpg

HawkenHalfS.jpg

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. :thumbsup:

well, if i were you, i would go with the lyman GPR. its a lot of gun for the money! i have an incredibly well made Hawken, and a GPR. i love them both.what i like about my GPR is its 1lb lighter than the Hawken.

my Hawken is the top rifle, the GPR is the bottom, not a lot of difference.
dragoon008.jpg

I have to admit I was basically in the same boat as yoy. I asked a lot of questions on this site, and looked at many rifles. For the money you are talking about keep checking the classifieds on this site, I have seen many good rifles from time to time. I went with a custom rifle from Brant Selb, and IMHO, it is the closest replica to the original Hawken I have seen. It is not cheap, but man what a shooter, work of art, and jusy a great rifle. Again this is not cheap, BUT I feel sometimes you get waht you pay for. T/C and Pendersoli, TVM a great rifles to, and shhot great, but it all comes down to what you really want. I settled once before because of funds, but take it from me you will regret it. Save another month or so and get what you really want. Good luck.
Aim small, miss small...

I've read somewhere that the closest production copies of the Hawken rifle were the Navy Ithica Hawken or the Uberti Sante Fe Hawken. You might be able to find either one of these on the used market.

I recently picked up this Uberti Sante Fe Hawken for way less than what a new Lyman would set u back or at a fraction of what the Pedersoli is going for.

hawken002.jpg

Hey, just shooting in the dark here, but was your Hawken made in B.C. by a guy named Don Robinson?

shortbow said:
Hey, just shooting in the dark here, but was your Hawken made in B.C. by a guy named Don Robinson?
lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no its a very rare Ithaca Hawken. Ithaca made them 1 year and sold everything to navy arms. mine gun #188. if you can find one of these in great shape like mine, they are pricey!

Well, I guess that's what you get for shooting in the dark! :rotf:

Great looking gun though.

shortbow said:
Well, I guess that's what you get for shooting in the dark! :rotf:

Great looking gun though.

its truly an awesome rifle! 50 cal, and one hell of a great shooting weapon! i use it for long distance shoots!

Back