• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken for bad eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got T/C off set quick mount for my pawn shop T/C.54 Hawken.
This was a kit gun I picked up in Rapid City SD last summer. My eyes focal plain has diminished but I want to keeps shooting accurately.
Will post results once I get it zeroed in

Attachments

• hawken mount.png
    hawken mount.png
    920.2 KB · Views: 7
  • hawken mount2.jpg
    hawken mount2.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 0
the only thing i don't like about this rifle is it has a gawd awful heavy trigger pull. The set trigger is good but just the front rigger pull seems very heavy

Adjust your trigger screw farther to lighten the pull. Also it might help to oil the trigger pivots and polish the leaf that goes against the sear.

If your trigger has 2 adjustment screws, it’s the screw closest the patch box. Please let us know how the scope works out! I’m thinking about doing the same.

I bought a renegade that that had a factory TC peep sight installed and can shoot it good . I was having trouble seeing the regular sights on my muzzleloaders. Took a deer at 105 steps with the peep sight. FBC

There are sight options what will work fine for older eyes. e.g. Johnson peeper, Lyman 57, etc. A scope might not be legal in some states for ml hunting seasons and very likely not allowed at most ml club shoots.

Adjust your trigger screw farther to lighten the pull. Also it might help to oil the trigger pivots and polish the leaf that goes against the sear.

If your trigger has 2 adjustment screws, it’s the screw closest the patch box. Please let us know how the scope works out! I’m thinking about doing the same.

That's assuming that he is having heavy trigger pull WITH the trigger set. And, indeed if that's the case adjustments will help.

But, if he is referring to front trigger pull WITHOUT setting the rear trigger then no amount of fiddling with the adjustment screw will help.

That's assuming that he is having heavy trigger pull WITH the trigger set. And, indeed if that's the case adjustments will help.

But, if he is referring to front trigger pull WITHOUT setting the rear trigger then no amount of fiddling with the adjustment screw will help.
that is what i am referring to,....heavy pull WITHOUT setting the rear set trigger. Very stiff!

that is what i am referring to,....heavy pull WITHOUT setting the rear set trigger. Very stiff!
That's what I thought you meant. You can pull the trigger unit and look for interference in the triggers and also between the trigger and wood. You can polish and lube it also BUT the most likely cause is the geometric relationship between the front trigger bar and the sear bar. The whole trigger assembly is probably inlet too far forward.

That's what I thought you meant. You can pull the trigger unit and look for interference in the triggers and also between the trigger and wood. You can polish and lube it also BUT the most likely cause is the geometric relationship between the front trigger bar and the sear bar. The whole trigger assembly is probably inlet too far forward.
The lock can also add to a hard trigger pull in my experience.

My Hawken also has a terrible unset trigger pull. Even after taking the lock apart and doing a bit of polishing and lubing it's still at a very heavy 8-1/2 lb. My Renegade is heavy too at 6-1/2 lb. I use set triggers at the range and both measure less than 8 oz. I don't use set for hunting unless I have a very good rest. Get a spring compressor and take the lock apart and polish any metal/metal contacts. Don't overdo it. You can always re-polish later if not light enough.

Back