• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Haversack Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys, I've been thinking of making a leather bag or haversack that would be an appropriate design for apx. the mid 1700's. I've found some pics on the web but nothing that I was certain about the time frame. Can anyone lead me to pics of anything of this nature? Also, what kind and weight of leather was in use at that time?

I'm hoping to build a collection of accutrements that might have been carried by a soldier from North Carolina in the Continental Army. I've found plenty of horn pics for inspiration but I'm having trouble finding stuff on a bag.

Thanks.

Several of the Rev War groups have patterns/drawings on their web sites. The NWTA used to have patterns. But I have not looked at their web site in a couple years.

Also, the Sketchbook 76 has a measured drawing of a haversack in it.

Historically, a haversack was a military issue item designed to carry the soldiers food rations. Every couple of days each soldier would be issued raw food for the next several days. Meat was issued RAW, and peas/grain/oats was issued un-cooked. This was all placed in their haversack to carry with them. At night, a "mess group" of 6 to 8 soldiers would get together and cook up a combined meal from their issued rations.

So that haversack would have had raw meat carried in it. So cloth was the chosen material.

Nowdays, a haversack tends to be a catch-all shoulder carried bag. It often is used to carry clothing and gear. Any food carried in it tends to be pre-cooked, or wrapped up well in other material. So ... ooozing .... raw meat is less of a concern with modern usage of a haversack. Thus some people decide to make them of leather for more durability.

One other item you may want to look at is a Snapsack. It was sort of going out of fashion by the Rev War, but was also a sometimes military issue item. It basically is a cloth or light leather cylinder with a single strap attached to the top and bottom of it. The top usually has a drawstring type closure. The bottom is either sewn closed with a round piece of the same material, or closed with another drawstring like the top. One fancy original leather snapsack also had an extra pocket sewn on the outside - with tied flap closure.

Choice of thickness of leather is a matter of personal choice, and how much weight you wish to carry. Most go with thin/flexible leather - like deerskin. It acts a lot like thick cloth.

And then there are the little "design" differences. Most haversacks are a simple flat rectangular pouch with the back folded over to form the flap. And a simple strap attached near the top of each side. But one original had the strap sewn to the top of each side on the back, but the stitching went completely through including the flap! Most just get stitched to the back, possibly with an extra reinforcing piece inside. And some people have made their haversacks with a gusset down each side - forming more of a full box instead of flat envelope.

Just a few rambling thoughts to share. Hope they help. (And trying to avoid that whole discussion about a non-military person using a "haversack".)

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Something you might also want to look at is a Market Wallet - a long thin bag sewn closed at both ends and with a hemmed up slit running lengthwise in the middle of one side. You stuff your gear into each end, and the drape it over your shoulder. The weight then keeps that access slit closed. Originals were made in many sizes - from small enough to lap over your belt/sash all the way up to "saddlebag" size for packing on a horse.

Carl, I think I mean a haversack. I mean the larger bag that they carried their "stuff" in. Not just their shooting stuff.

Mike, Thanks for all the info. I'll look up that information you list. Should be something I can run with there.

capt fred what you are looking for is a haversack.they were traditionally made of linen for the continental troops ..if you google najecki reproduction or godwins rev war they both have haversacks and najecki has a kit for 12.00.i have a haversack and they are very comfortable just remeber that the top of your sack should be just below your armpit... hope this helps let me know if i can be more help

Ahh more good tips there. Thanks for the info. I'm going to make it out of light leather since that's what I have on hand. I want it to look like something homemade that mom would have given to the young soldier heading off.

I found one a while ago on an auction site that was leather but was shaped quite a bit like those sacks on Godwin's but it was made of some sort of leather. Of course I didn't save the pic. I figured there'd be plenty on the net and I'd just dig them up when needed. Turned out to be not quite that easy.

Thanks again. Ken

Back