• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One evening my wife said "some girl is in our back yard screaming!". I heard it, and immediately knew it to be a Barn Owl [ link to sounds ]. We eased out on to the deck and I lased him with my pencil beam flashlight up in top of a tree. Ghosty apparition and sound, for sure. The sound and face of a killer!
One of the stands I like to hunt at the Illinois farm watches a 20 acre CRP field. I've watched Owls absolutely feast on critter up to 11 am. They are definitely good at what they do.

Same here, but it's a Barn Owl family!

Also a couple of hawks, smaller long tailed type that are swooping around close to the ground, probably Sharp Shinned, or Cooper's, during the day. I wish they would go away because they are taking songbirds, too.

Sorta quiet back there with all the raptors. Rabbits gone. Saw a tail-less squirrel at the bird feeder just yesterday, so they are getting pressured. We always had the big soaring Red Tails, but they never dive-bombed around the yard like these latest dudes.
Wife came home yesterday from work and was upset about something. For the last couple of years she has told me that at the rather large and spread out healthcare facility she works at, there has been a a few large red tailed hawk’s hanging around. None of those hawks are afraid of humans.

Yesterday, she and a coworker were walking between buildings when they heard something screaming. They looked up and one of those large hawks was up in a tree trying to get a squirrel. She said the hawk was wrestling with it in between tree limbs and it wasn’t very high up. So the gals started yelling and waving their arms trying to stop the hawk. Finally the squirrel was able to get free and ran under a ATV mule that was parked next to the building. To their amazement, the hawk followed and was trying to get under the mule to catch the squirrel. Finally, the gals were successful at scaring the hawk away but the squirrel had no tail and was sitting there “crying” as she put it. The squirrel finally hopped off into the bushes.

At that facility, there are many open spaces that’s mowed and has scattered trees. They used to have lots of rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, birds and other critters the residents enjoyed seeing. Since the hawks moved in, there’s very few critters left for the staff and residents to enjoy.

For years I’ve always thought that hawks were darn near sacred. I know they serve a purpose and it’s simply Mother Nature doing its thing. However, after losing several chickens to them, as well as how they kill so many squirrels, birds and rabbits, hawks have made it to my top 4 hated critters list.

There’s many miles of heavy woods and forests in this area for hawks to live and hunt in. Yet they like to go to residential areas and/or facilities such as the one listed above to kill.

Hawks are federally protected.

Last edited:
Yep, same here Ed, Gotta admit temptation when I saw a hawk in my pellet gun crosshairs, sitting on our fence with a little blue bird in his claws writhing in agony, after I had done so much to try to get the little fellers established here. But I won't kill them; I'm a good little boy. My old Dad used to say "Ye cain't have NUTHIN!'" - i.e. you cant raise or cultivate ANYTHING without some dang varmint trying to kill or tear up everything.

Last edited:
Went to camp to scout for squirrel season coming up in a week. Behind camp there are three 50 ft. hickory trees. heard a commotion , went to look. There were 6 or so squirrels fighting over the hickory nuts. Chasing , screeching , two grappled on to each other , and fell out from high in the tree. Bounced off the ground , and one left , one went back up the tree to join the confusion. Plenty nuts that yr.. Never saw that again. Went to kill some the following week , no nuts , no squirrels.

On the way home from work one afternoon , noticed an oak woods up against a mature unharvested corn field. Motion clued me in to squirrels in the corn. Called the friend owning the oak woods , he said come on down. Daylight next morning , I was in the oak woods above the corn with my home built .36 cal. Snyder Co. Pa. percussion long rifle. Couldn't believe there was a big grey coming up out of the corn carrying a half ear of corn cob. Didn't think it possible he could carry that much. He was first in the bag. Soon another came up w/his cheeks and belly full of corn , he was next. On the way out back to my car , saw another grey sticking to the side of an oak tree , with his tail pressed up along his spine. My aim was slightly off , I'm a body shooter/lungs /heart , fired the shot , squirrel flopped from the tree. Was easily a 20+ yd. shot. I got squirrel , but not the edible part. Only half of a cleanly severed grey squirrel tail , lay in the leaves. Told the farmer where the shot was attempted , he called me the next day , and said he went and looked , and sure enough , got to see the half tail grey where I said it was. Looked healthy to him. We had a good laugh.

On the way home from work one afternoon , noticed an oak woods up against a mature unharvested corn field. Motion clued me in to squirrels in the corn. Called the friend owning the oak woods , he said come on down. Daylight next morning , I was in the oak woods above the corn with my home built .36 cal. Snyder Co. Pa. percussion long rifle. Couldn't believe there was a big grey coming up out of the corn carrying a half ear of corn cob. Didn't think it possible he could carry that much. He was first in the bag. Soon another came up w/his cheeks and belly full of corn , he was next. On the way out back to my car , saw another grey sticking to the side of an oak tree , with his tail pressed up along his spine. My aim was slightly off , I'm a body shooter/lungs /heart , fired the shot , squirrel flopped from the tree. Was easily a 20+ yd. shot. I got squirrel , but not the edible part. Only half of a cleanly severed grey squirrel tail , lay in the leaves. Told the farmer where the shot was attempted , he called me the next day , and said he went and looked , and sure enough , got to see the half tail grey where I said it was. Looked healthy to him. We had a good laugh.
Cool story, old wood.

I remember when I was a young $hit a$$ and got to hang out with my granddad a lot, a lot of his buddies ran beagles and were hardcore rabbit hunters would brag about shooting hawks, which my young self new was illegal. Pi$$ed him off. He told me if he ever caught me doing that, he'd break my gun over my head.

Must remember that Mother Nature was here long before you/us immigrants! It was a delicate balance....before, but no more.
True. However, Mother Nature can keep her predators In the woods and mountains where they belong. Not on my property killing squirrels and my chickens, nor in a place like where my wife works. There’s plenty of room for them to kill things and be themselves other than in somewhat populated areas. Hawks are opportunist, much like wolves. They take the easy way out.

I remember when I was a young $hit a$$ and got to hang out with my granddad a lot, a lot of his buddies ran beagles and were hardcore rabbit hunters would brag about shooting hawks, which my young self new was illegal. Pi$$ed him off. He told me if he ever caught me doing that, he'd break my gun over my head.
I reckon they would have to “try” to break my gun over my head.

True. However, Mother Nature can keep her predators In the woods and mountains where they belong. Not on my property killing squirrels and my chickens, nor in a place like where my wife works. There’s plenty of room for them to kill things and be themselves other than in somewhat populated areas. Hawks are opportunist, much like wolves. They take the easy way out.
Guess you could say the same thing about squirrels. If they stayed in the woods and the mountains, the hawks wouldn't follow them to town. 🤣

Wife came home yesterday from work and was upset about something. For the last couple of years she has told me that at the rather large and spread out healthcare facility she works at, there has been a a few large red tailed hawk’s hanging around. None of those hawks are afraid of humans.

Yesterday, she and a coworker were walking between buildings when they heard something screaming. They looked up and one of those large hawks was up in a tree trying to get a squirrel. She said the hawk was wrestling with it in between tree limbs and it wasn’t very high up. So the gals started yelling and waving their arms trying to stop the hawk. Finally the squirrel was able to get free and ran under a ATV mule that was parked next to the building. To their amazement, the hawk followed and was trying to get under the mule to catch the squirrel. Finally, the gals were successful at scaring the hawk away but the squirrel had no tail and was sitting there “crying” as she put it. The squirrel finally hopped off into the bushes.

At that facility, there are many open spaces that’s mowed and has scattered trees. They used to have lots of rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, birds and other critters the residents enjoyed seeing. Since the hawks moved in, there’s very few critters left for the staff and residents to enjoy.

For years I’ve always thought that hawks were darn near sacred. I know they serve a purpose and it’s simply Mother Nature doing its thing. However, after losing several chickens to them, as well as how they kill so many squirrels, birds and rabbits, hawks have made it to my top 4 hated critters list.

There’s many miles of heavy woods and forests in this area for hawks to live and hunt in. Yet they like to go to residential areas and/or facilities such as the one listed above to kill.

Hawks are federally protected.
Yep. Since the earlier years of the 1900's , I used to know the exact year. I always found it foolish in my grown years hearing guys brag about shooting them. Ya never know who's listening and next thing you know you're spending your life savings on fines, or to stay out of the clink. Same as guys back home in the bottoms letting anyone who offers them a beer know how they are going to kill every bobcat they see.

I used my compound bow for about 4 seasons, until my shoulder put a stop to that. I used these for squirrel. They were accurate and very effective.
Knocked 'em for aloop that's for sure.
I used those, or some just like them, back in the nineties. They surely do the job. I think there are still a few floating around in my gun tool box. Good stuff.

So if my calculations are correct, it's 15 and a wakeup for the 2024/25 ky. squirrel season opener. What's the over/under that Ed already has his hunting duds sprayed down, with the pants tucked in his boots so when the alarm goes off (if he sleeps), he can throw his legs over the bed, and be out the door like a jackrabbit on a date?
Yep, them jelly state squirrels are about to be in trouble.

Yep. Since the earlier years of the 1900's , I used to know the exact year. I always found it foolish in my grown years hearing guys brag about shooting them. Ya never know who's listening and next thing you know you're spending your life savings on fines, or to stay out of the clink. Same as guys back home in the bottoms letting anyone who offers them a beer know how they are going to kill every bobcat they see.
Some people are foolish. Out west, in terms of the wolves, the saying was “shoot, shovel and shut up”.

Last edited:
Guess you could say the same thing about squirrels. If they stayed in the woods and the mountains, the hawks wouldn't follow them to town. 🤣
That’s what some of my chickens, the birds, chipmunks, rabbits and a few other small animals tried to tell the hawks that were about to kill them, but for some reason, those darn hawks just wouldn’t listen. 😁

This reminds me of something that happened out west, I believe it was in Montana. It’s common for some out of state city folks to move there and want to build a house as high up on a mountain as they can. One day a lady called the F&G and frantically stated “there’s a bear in my back yard”. The F&G replied “that’s funny because we just gat a call from a bear complaining about a house being in his front yard”.

Last edited:
Just caught up with the demon squirrels and flying monkeys. I was 15 pages behind.

Anyway, sounds like Jim K was turkey hunting in my neck of the woods. I was there this week planting trees and the ticks are really bad this year. Having sprayed my clothes, I still had a dozen a day crawling on me.

Just caught up with the demon squirrels and flying monkeys. I was 15 pages behind.

Anyway, sounds like Jim K was turkey hunting in my neck of the woods. I was there this week planting trees and the ticks are really bad this year. Having sprayed my clothes, I still had a dozen a day crawling on me.
I’m hoping to pick up some Permethrin next time I go to town. Most likely Monday. Going to give the stuff a try anyway. I really don’t like spraying Deet on my skin. However, it is effective at keeping ticks off of my body.

Spring squirrel season opens here in 14 more days. Heavy squirrel population here this year. Still have more trails to open up in my thicket from hell before season opens. I dread going in there but it needs to be.

Last edited:
Back