• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Haversack/Backpack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has any one tried making the backpack described in Mark Baker's A Pilgrim Journey? I'm thinking of making one from scratch rather than converting mine. It looks much more practical than an over the shoulder haversack.

I been using mine for about 2 months now I really like it.The only draw back to mine is that it is a little to big.I purchased it from C&D Jarnagin it came with cloth straps and I put leather ones on and renforced the bottom and top.

I made one this winter. i made it larger than shown because i was carrying almost all my gear in it.(9x9 tarp,boiler,stakes,pan,etc.) I wanted to carry all my gear to a camp site and i found it was easier to use than rolling my gear in the tarp and slinging it. i used canvas and leather as suggested. Because of the angle of the top strapes when carried you need that leather top hinge piece and a solid stitch job or it could pull out or tear. Make the front flap straps long enough and you can carry a coat or spare clotes in between.

I don't have the pleasure of having Mr. Baker's book. Can someone post a picture or give a description of the bag you're talking about.

I don't have a pic but will try to get one. What Mark basically did was take the one strap off his haversack then reniforce the bottom and inside right below the flap with leather.then sewed two straps on ataching the top of the strap to the peice of leather and the bottom to the bottom peice of leather. So all the weight is not on the cloth.[url] http://www.wildeweavery.com/[/url] Go here and click on Knapsacks/haversacks and the top pic is bacically it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures on the link are very close to Bakers knapsack. The straps are wider at the top and look more comfortable than the straight straps on Marks bag. What would work to waterproof it? I was thinking of using leather straps for closures instead of buttons. Borrowing them from the New-Invented style of haversack.

Post rider,
I beleive in Marks book he says how he water proofed his haversack with beeswax before he turned it into a knapsack just do the same thing.Thats what I did to mine.

I made one similar to Mr. Baker's and added a compartment in the cover. I also modified the shoulder straps by folding a soft leather strip twice as wide as the regular shoulder strap over a same sized strip of wool. This creates a soft padding with a rounded edge. The stitching faces in (toward the center of the chest) when worn.

Mark Baker's book is great! And I think volume 2 is coming out.

Back