• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have a Kentucky pistol kit missing the flintlock. What can I use???????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul69usmc

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hoping that someone can give me some help. Just got a Kentucky pistol kit its a 45 Cal. model. It has mostly all.of the parts. I will get what is missing through deer creek. But they seem not to have the Flintlock that comes with it. Can anyone help me out tell me what flintlock would work and where would be the best place. If anyone knows of anyone that has one that I can use would be appreciated. Would love to get this kit going. Thanks in advance. Paul.

Attachments

• 20210517_151403.jpg
    20210517_151403.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210517_151406.jpg
    20210517_151406.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210517_151410.jpg
    20210517_151410.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 105
You should contact the gun works/muzzleloading emporium.
If you Google it you can find their contact information, phone number.
Give them a call and explain what you need. I'm sure they can help you out. Locks aren't cheap though. Your looking at about 200 bucks.
Next best thing is to check Ebay from time to time. Always parts for sale there.

You should contact the gun works/muzzleloading emporium.
If you Google it you can find their contact information, phone number.
Give them a call and explain what you need. I'm sure they can help you out. Locks aren't cheap though. Your looking at about 200 bucks.
Next best thing is to check Ebay from time to time. Always parts for sale there.
Thanks. I will check them out.

Be patient and watch ebay and gunbroker, or else bite the bullet and buy the L&R I linked to in your other post. Pretty much your best options.

Be patient and watch ebay and gunbroker, or else bite the bullet and buy the L&R I linked to in your other post. Pretty much your best options.
I been thinking the same. Thank you. Just was hoping I could get lucky.

If you are handy with tools, you can fill in the lock inlet , choose a nice flintlock pistol lock, and start over. Re inlet it to fit.

I have carefully used a router to excavate the lock mortise. Making it flat and even inside as possible. Then find a closely matching wood, bandsawing a piece to fit, oversized, and trimming it down to snugly fit. Then glueing it in . When dry, plane it down to the level of the original stock. I have seen old repairs like this. Then inlet for your new lock.

I used to carry and shoot a CVA Kentucky in the woods and tried to wear it out. It was a percussion model, which I loved; the flintlock pistols and rifles used a kind of rinky-dink lock that looked like it was made for children, took a cute little maybe 1/2 inch wide flint; the barrel was very strong, with very strong breeching and a billy club tough ash stock. If one could fit a real (decent) flintlock like the old Dixie Gun works Ashmore Warranted lock which used to be inexpensive and sparked like crazy it would go well, not too big and could be fitted I think into the original mortice, or close to it. Inletting a new block of wood to inlet a new lock would be an abortion. I would use the barrel, new lock, and a decent piece of maple or walnut and build a new piece from the ground up. Get or make some decent furniture also. I would myself just build it to a working pistol to be drug through it; mine worked fine and laid many a squirrel and swamp rabbit low. Good luck with your project, PM me if you have any questions, George.

I used to carry and shoot a CVA Kentucky in the woods and tried to wear it out. It was a percussion model, which I loved; the flintlock pistols and rifles used a kind of rinky-dink lock that looked like it was made for children, took a cute little maybe 1/2 inch wide flint; the barrel was very strong, with very strong breeching and a billy club tough ash stock. If one could fit a real (decent) flintlock like the old Dixie Gun works Ashmore Warranted lock which used to be inexpensive and sparked like crazy it would go well, not too big and could be fitted I think into the original mortice, or close to it. Inletting a new block of wood to inlet a new lock would be an abortion. I would use the barrel, new lock, and a decent piece of maple or walnut and build a new piece from the ground up. Get or make some decent furniture also. I would myself just build it to a working pistol to be drug through it; mine worked fine and laid many a squirrel and swamp rabbit low. Good luck with your project, PM me if you have any questions, George.
Thank you

Back