• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone used 1F in a rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it in my .54 with the same 80 gr load I shoot with 2F, it shot just fine but my groups opened up a good bit, probably because I didn't compensate for the reduced power of the same volume load.

Many thanks, Sir. My Whitworths are 420 [1980] and 888, allegedly 1985 - so your rifle falls toward the middle-end of the 80's. If you care to take a photo of the underneath of the barrel by the breech, we can date it for you precisely from the proof marks.

This is what you are looking for - note that the breech plug was made and numbered in another production line and bears no connection with the serial number of the finished rifle. FB over 3 = 1980, but yours might have the proof date in a different format. Crown over BP = black powder proof.

1642188677193.png

I called Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, and asked him about Olde Eynsford 1F. He said it was developed at the request of .50 caliber black powder cartridge shooters at the Quigley Match in Montana. They wanted a slower burning powder than Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, which they like a lot. I ordered a pound to add to my order which I made before the Goex going out of business announcement. Larry and I will fly up to Evanston in the next few weeks to get our orders. I'll shoot it in my .54 Hawkens and .58 Leman for velocity and accuracy, but it will take a few weeks. Craig said he had a lot of it and Goex 1F, which is a little coarser of kernel, and a considerable amount of cannon grade powder, but I think he said he was out of everything else.

Last edited:
After inviting Lone Pine down to my farm to do some shooting and find what rifle fit him the best we all went and did some hunting. We got as a group 8 deer and had a blast. I noticed my powder was getting low so today I went over to my local shop and I sadly purchased his last pound of Goex FFG powder. He told me he has 50 lbs of FG Old Eynesford still in safe storage as no one buys it and said he could sell me as much as I wanted. I know I could use it in my bess but could I use it in a .54 caliber rifle? I know burn time will be increased leading to more delayed shots but I can't find 2 or 3 F anywhere online. Buffalo Arms and Powder Valley are all out of powder and so is Graf and Sons. If anyone knows where I can get some I would be glad to hear what you have to say. I only have 3 pounds left and them I'm all out.
Yep, have used it in 58 Enfield with a 580 grain minie. It's OK to use. Groups drop a couple inches at 75 yards compared to 2 and 3 F.

I had 2 lbs of 1fg once. There is nothing wrong with it except I needed more powder than when using 3fg. With the tight market, if 1fg is what you can buy, then go for it. Not a fair comparison, but Goex 1fg fouls more than Swiss 3fg.

I called Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, and asked him about Olde Eynsford 1F. He said it was developed at the request of .50 caliber black powder cartridge shooters at the Quigley Match in Montana. They wanted a slower burning powder than Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, which they like a lot. I ordered a pound to add to my order which I made before the Goex going out of business announcement. Larry and I will fly up to Evanston in the next few weeks to get our orders. I'll shoot it in my .54 Hawkens and .58 Leman for velocity and accuracy, but it will take a few weeks. Craig said he had a lot of it and Goex 1F, which is a little coarser of kernel, and a considerable amount of cannon grade powder, but I think he said he was out of everything else.
your few weeks are up Herb! :D How did it perform? especially in the.54?

Back