• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harness leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to make a backpack that Mark Baker describes in his book. The straps are made of harness leather. How does this differ from regular leather. Is it the thickness or the way it is tanned? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Rider said:
I am going to make a backpack that Mark Baker describes in his book. The straps are made of harness leather. How does this differ from regular leather.

Hard to say- "regular" (i.e. veg-tan) is sometimes used on harness gear, and would be the most likely choice for a home made pack. This is sometimes treated with hot beeswax or tallow. If you plan to carve, emboss or decorate the straps, just plain veg tanned is your best bet.

Veg-retan latigo is also likely. It is chrome tanned, then re-veg-tanned. Makes good straps.

Alum tanned latigo makes the best straps, but it is dense and hard to work with. Stitching holes close up really fast on you. Probably not the best choice for the project you describe.

For what you are doing, you could use an oil tanned leather, especially on smaller pockets. It'd be easier to work with, but might be a bit stretchy.

I'd guess you could need anywhere from 3-6 oz straps, maybe even 2 oz on small pockets, depending on the load. Most belts are 5-8 oz leather. If you are making a hip belt to take up most of the load, then go with the heavier leather and I'd suggest padding it well- maybe with sheepskin, wool obviously on.

Good luck with the project!

Dan

If LaBonte sees this he'll have the answer but as far as I know harness leather has undergone a different tanning procedure from Oak Tan or veg-tan leather that tandy sells for carving/stamping- as in making a belt. The harness leather will better withstand hard, outdoor use. I think- but I'm not sure- Latigo is similar to harness leather. You could probably PM LaBonte and get a better answer.

Harness leather is tanned the same as any other veg/bark tanned leather such as saddle skirting or carving leather.
The difference comes in the currying aka finishing - harness leather is typically stuffed (often hot stuffed) with heavier oils, tallows, and waxes to help it retain flexibility even when wet and also to prevent rot from animal sweat, etc.
For a period piece any good veg tan will work and you can then oil/wax it to your satisfaction - I use dubbin, a period mix of tallow, oil, and beeswax - recipes are on line.

Latigo was originally an alum tawed leather that was then heavily stuffed, but today by far most is chrome tanned and then stuffed.
So-called oil tanned strap leather is almost all chrome tanned these days and then oiled - true oil tan is made/used very little today as it is a long term process when done in the traditionl manner.

If PC is what you're interested in than I suggest you stick to veg tan - strap leather is just fine as is harness or saddles skirting. If you've got a saddle shop in town check with them otherwise I can recommend the old time pit tanned leather from RJF Leather in New York State. He sells really nice double shoulders averaging 14 sq feet in various weights. Typically harness leather runs 8/9 oz or heavier, for straps 7/8 oz or 8/9 oz would work fine.

Unfortunatley terms like harness leather, russet leather, bridle leather are often used incorrectly or as a sort of generic term. FWIW - veg tan today is almost all tanned using bark, but since it is done with a liquid rather than the actual bark as so often done in the old days it gets referred to as veg tan, and sometimes it may contain other veg material as well - whatever is high in tannins works.

Glad you picked up on this. What is the difference between chrome tanned and veg-tanned? Can you tell the difference by looking at the leather? Is one more PC? or suitable for outdoor use? Thanks.

Hers'a birief run down on the difference between chrome tanned (uses chromium salts to tan - 1 day to tan) and veg/bark tan (uses tannic acid - 1 month or longer to tan): http://www.hermannoakleather.com/resources-and-events/tanning-process

Chrome tanning was developed in the late 1860's, but was not widely used until the late 18070's- early 1880's.

Chrome tanned leather is generally softer/more malleable - the process is normally used for leather made into clothes (buckskin, elk hide, pigsksin, and some cowhide), upholstery (cowhide & pigskin mainly), etc. with a few exceptions such as latigo and retan oil. It is generally not toolable. Dependent on type it does make good out door leather, but then again it is technically not "PC" for the pre-1870's - for that stick to veg tan, real alum tawed, real oil tan such as the German Tan, or brain tan..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back