• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hard Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on the Shooters Choice Cleaning Gel. It's expensive, but really does the job. It's also particularly good for cleaning out Teflon residue.

Work strips of paper towel or cleaning patches into a bore brush until it is almost full. Soak them with a good solvent and start scrubbing. WD-40 is a good solvent to start with. I have moved to CLP for most purposes these days. If the problem continues, take a piece of fine grit scrubbing pad and lap the bore a little and then clean it again. Sounds like it is a little rough down there. When I got my Mountain rifle i spent most of a week running patches soaked in solvents up and down the bore while I watched TV. It had been "seasoned".
If you can't get good clean patches that way, then you need the next level products to get the stuff you are not getting out. I use Blue Wonder myself, but there are a number of good products out there.

The nice thing about Shooter's Choice BP Gel is that it doesn't require elbow grease...it's chemical does the work.

Plaster it in heavily and let is sit in the bore for 5 minutes, wipe the bore clean, repeat that cycle a few time during the course of half hour to an hour while doing something else in the garage and you'll have the bore back to bare raw metal before you know it

Be very surre to get all of the heavier products out, and like Roundball said, everything will be gone. No oil or protection at all. They will rust in the air like that. Be very sure to apply some kind of protective coating.

Thanks Guys for the info .It sounds like what I need is the Shooters Choice Gel But I can't seem to find it online I checked Outdoor World & Cabella's & did not find it If anyone knows a web site Please post it . Will i need to do anything other than lightly oil the bore after this applicaton? Thanks again guys you all have been a great help.

Seasoning a bore is a practice that ended when the barrels quit being made of cast iron, or it should have anyway. The steel in modern barrels does not allow that kind of infiltration. A modern barrel is best kept clean and then coated with a good protectant. Mine have heavy mineral oil in them as a test right now.
I don't know what brand gun or style gun you have. Some guns it is best to never put a liquid protectant in because it gets around the threads of the drum and breech plug. When loaded for long periods, a little bit of oil bleeds out of the threads and can cause misfires. The CVA's and the Traditions fall into that group. When I removed the drum from a couple of the CVA barrels lately, both showed the same problem. Lots of oil in around the drum threads that can leach into the powder. How many times have you heard someone say, it always goes off at home? I believe that is one of the primary problems people have with those brands of gun when they tell you it did not go off in the field. Several years back I discovered that storing the guns upside down at home with a dry paper towel all the way down the barrel on the ramrod increased the reliability when they had been loaded all day or several days when I am out hunting. I figured it was drying something, but I never knew what until recently. The powder chamber is still shiney on my oldest rifle, so the liquid scrubbings and protectants did not hurt anything that way. My primary hunting guns no longer get liquid oils and protectants, and they also do not get anything that doesn't evaporate quickly used cleaning them.
Hope that helps! My target/goof off guns still get cleaned the way they always have. If I use a gun hunting that has been cleaned that way and has had oil put in it, I remove the screw and add a 2 grain prime directly in under the nipple. If the nipple isn't clogged, when the hammer falls, the gun goes off!
You have a nice day! Do a search and there are cut away pictures of a CVA/Traditions guns breech system.

smo said:
Thanks Guys for the info .It sounds like what I need is the Shooters Choice Gel But I can't seem to find it online I checked Outdoor World & Cabella's & did not find it If anyone knows a web site Please post it . Will i need to do anything other than lightly oil the bore after this applicaton? Thanks again guys you all have been a great help.

Google it up:

"Shooters choice blackpowder cleaning gel"

TIP:
To avoid paying shipping again in the future, you might consider ordering a couple bottles at the same time

Thanks Again Runner,My guns are Inestarm 50 cals. They are about 20 years old I bought 1 new & 1 used at a pawn shop (which came already loaded) :nono: I'm not sure how long it had been charged but I can feel roughness down towards the bottom of the barrel. I have fired this gun several times over the years so I feel safe about shooting it. But just can't seem to get her tuned in.

Found it Round Ball Thanks Sometimes it's hard for a old country boy like me to remember to use all the links!

The only thing I remember ever hearing bad about those guns is that on some the tang area could crack under recoil. The dealer I used to talk to all the time recommended bedding the breech area just in case. They don't use the drum type system that CVA used. Most of what I have heard has been very positive!

Runner,

I shoot mostly competition and also do some plinking with my trade rifles. After I clean with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine, I rinse it out with hot water, patch till dry, then use Sheath spray right down the barrel and on patches. Then I store the rifle muzzle-down on a paper towel to let excess oil run out the snail & bore. At the range we use a single dry patch, then cap-off twice at a blade of grass. No missfires at all :) . I think the secret is in pointing the muzzle down onto the paper towel: The rifle only keeps the quantity of oil it actually needs to not rust :wink: .

Good luck with the mineral oil test and please let us know what you find out :thumbsup: .

Dave

The CVA breech is different in that the drum screws all the way into the breech plug past the powder channel. A large groove and four threads are exposed at a point where the powder column is less than .25.

cvbreech.jpg

I had no idea how much oil actually gets in around that drum until I pulled the last two. The snail type breeches don't have this problem at all that I know of. There was enough oil in the Hawken to have killed several loads easily.

Thanks for explaining it to me. Now I'm really glad I took someone's advice and bought a Lyman trade rifle with the snail! I don't have to beat the buttstock on the ground to settle the charge either. Just a couple taps on the side of the barrel does the trick :)

Dave

Back