• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BALLISTOL a fair shake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first got introduced to muzzleloading say some 13-14 years ago I was also baptized to ALL of the cleaning and why as well as many of the different ways of doing so. The "Presenter" left me to develop my own regimens to do so I use hot water to point of boiling (not boiling), shot of dish soap and Mean Green Degreaser. I would follow up with WD-40 then I would wipe off and reapply a lubricant.

Over the last year I purchased two 16 ounce cans of Ballistol, wanting to be fair about it. Well I was floored, because after the Hot water soap clean instead of WD-40 I would substitute for Ballistol. The results were amazing I do not have to wipe off, re-lubricate, just run 1 wet patch down barrel, follow with a dry patch. I will admit I had avoided on cost wise to use for muzzleloading it is Moose Milk 5:1 Ratio (I prefer distilled/purified water over tap) I think I have used 10 ounces in the past year. I also use Ballistol 2 ounces of it in my home made patch and bullet lube. So if one is on the fence about Ballistol because of the cost I can say beyond doubt in my book you will far exceed the initial cost.

As far as my bullet patch lube 20 ounces beeswax 1 pound crisco and 2 ounces Canola Oil ++I substitute Ballistol for the Canola Oil 2 ounces++ The recipe with the Ballistol makes a great modern bullet lube as well

Watching Hickok45 got me into ballistol so it was already there when I started doing BP. A very good all in one product although I will use grease for internals and locks for lube. Also like the idea it is not supposed to be harmful to your skin or environment. Now if they could just make it smell good....

Last edited:
I keep a microfiber cloth with it in a zip lock bag.

I learned it here. Non petroleum base. It works good and is safe for us.

I did see there's more products out there that are non petroleum base etc also..

Anyone try anything.. I could run a list but.

even a motor oil????

Attachments

• 17168170376931744343828769871817.png
    17168170376931744343828769871817.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240527_094610_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_094610_Google~2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
I keep a microfiber cloth with it in a zip lock bag.

I learned it here. Non petroleum base. It works good and is safe for us.

I did see there's more products out there that are non petroleum base etc also..

Anyone try anything.. I could run a list but.

even a motor oil????

I know it doesn't "goop up" like a plain oil, like sewing machine oil, or RemOil, or 3-n-1, but....,

Ballistol ingredients list from most to least in the formula from their most recent MSDS sheet:

Mineral Oil (liquid paraffin)
that’s a petroleum product, folks, and it's the main ingredient
Potassium oleate
Ammonium oleate
Benzyl alcohol
Amyl alcohol
Benzyl acetate
Anethole

LD

Huh? 😆

I thought that's why we picked that one. Were trying to be all organic or something.

I guess I'll try something new.

This oil has a good rating?

I think try choke tube lube for the nipples too.. I never cared for the permatex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_113825_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_113825_Chrome~2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240527_114530_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_114530_Chrome~2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 0
Ballistol was supposed to be developed for the German army in the early 1900’s, to nullify the corrosion from mercury primers. I’ve used it, it prevents rust in SOME of my guns, others not so much. Strange.

Ballistol works well in my bathtub when the shower faucet starts getting hard to work from built up calcium. That is most most use for Ballistol.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I know it doesn't "goop up" like a plain oil, like sewing machine oil, or RemOil, or 3-n-1, but....,

Ballistol ingredients list from most to least in the formula from their most recent MSDS sheet:

Mineral Oil (liquid paraffin)
that’s a petroleum product, folks, and it's the main ingredient
Potassium oleate
Ammonium oleate
Benzyl alcohol
Amyl alcohol
Benzyl acetate
Anethole

LD
Paraffin wax is also used in Gatofeo’s #1 lube, an old recipe designed for outside lubricated black powder bullets. It may be a petroleum product but it doesn’t seem to do the things people warn of with petroleum products. 🤷 I use both Ballistol and Gatofeo’s.

Back