• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgun reloader meets leadball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a newbie question for ya'll. Having loaded handgun cartridges for years, the bullet diameter should remain the same and only the projectile weight changes. It fits or you run the risk of a clogged barrel. Along comes the holy black muzzelloaders! Ball size, patch size, tighter, looser, grouping, distance, etc. My question is: How tight should ball and patch be in the barrel. Loose fit gives me lousy accuracy but every time I get to having to really pound it in I get the heebies and visions of a clogged barrel detonation. For out in the field, just how tight is too tight?

seems you need just a snug fit not loose or tight try a different ball diameter and also patch material .Could you share what caliber and what ball size and patch thickness that you have tried and the results

@Blueforge, you have been on the forum for a while. Since you are talking of patched balls, I am thinking that you are talking about a single shot pistol. With a single shot pistol that is using soft lead balls that are patched over suitable propellant such as black powder or the equivalent substitute, there won't be a problem of a clogged bore. It really only takes 5 grains of powder by volume to send a ball out of a rifle barrel. As @R Ellis says, a snug fit is what is required for a pistol. There's no accuracy in a loose fit. Far too much blow by of the powder to be effective.

To clarify "snug" a bit, you should still be able to push the patched ball down. If you're having to pound it down, it's too tight - in my opinion.
I suggest you try adjusting the other factors (1 at a time, of course)- Patch thickness and lubrication. You could also try a slightly smaller or larger ball diameter.
Are you familiar with the "dry" patch lubing technique? Many swear by that for teasing out the final bit of accuracy.

Hope this is helpful.

If you are worried about a gap between the powder and ball which can cause a detonation which can happen. Load a loose round that is definitely seated on the powder and make a mark on the ram rod at the muzzle, That way you can be sure of a good seated load. Used mostly with rifles but works with single shot pistols too.

a newbie question for ya'll. Having loaded handgun cartridges for years, the bullet diameter should remain the same and only the projectile weight changes. It fits or you run the risk of a clogged barrel. Along comes the holy black muzzelloaders! Ball size, patch size, tighter, looser, grouping, distance, etc. My question is: How tight should ball and patch be in the barrel. Loose fit gives me lousy accuracy but every time I get to having to really pound it in I get the heebies and visions of a clogged barrel detonation. For out in the field, just how tight is too tight?
The best answer I have ever come across and have always used and found reliable is tight enough that the weave of your patch material should imprint both groove and land on the ball exterior. If it imprints only on the land portion of ball contact it is not thick enough to form a perfect gas seal. If recovered patches are torn or holed than they are not the correct thickness assuming only cotton cloth is being used and the barrel is broken in.
Patch material should always be of cotton and tight of weave so light does not readily pass through when held up to a source.
I have found nothing better than old cotton shirt felt about ..018 thick so keep all my work shirts when worn out to make patches with. They work equally well if made into strips and cut at the muzzle or punched out round patches.
A properly fit cotton patch of the correct thickness and tightness of weave can be picked up, cleaned and used again although the edges will be frayed.
My go to patch lube year round is blue windshield wash containing water, soap and alcohol (no peroxide).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back