• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Terminology/naming help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really basic.... and stupid question. But we all have our moments right?

Anyway... In general terms

I know what a rifle is. Its got that long tube thing with grooves cut in it (or its been smashed around a twisted hexagon or other twisted polygonal shape). It takes a bullet and puts some spin on it and sends it out, using the spin to stabilize. How much it twists depends on what type of projectiles and their velocity in relation to length, weight, diameter, etc and so on, but that is a whole 'nuther discussion.

And I know what a shotgun is. They have that long tube thing or perhaps a pair of them, and the tube gets a little bit more narrow at the end furthest away from the shooter (choke). It shoots a column of shot that spreads out as it travels away though the smaller it is at the far end of the tube the less it will spread. There are slugs available that stabilize and mostly fly in a straight line by acting like a badmitton birdie - they are hollow at the rear, and the weight forward balance does the rest (and yes, I know this is modern-ish (1900s) Foster style slugs).

So a muzzle loading rifle is a no brainer, and a muzzle loading shotgun is also easy, though I think the only thing close to a "slug" for a muzzle loading shotgun would be a single ball of not quite bore diameter at smallest point (choke constriction) and it would need a lot of patch to get a bore fit down near the powder but that could still cause issues at the choke....

But what defines a "smoothbore" and what makes it different from a shotgun? Is it the presence of rifle like sights and no choke to the barrel? Assume they shoot a basic patched round ball, no real stabilization so nothing to provide spin, so not as accurate as rifle w/ same PRB esp at longer distances? Also from discussions I see they tend to run much larger bore diameters than rifles, hovering around common shotgun gauge sizes (.62, .68, .72, .74)?

So... tell me how wrong I am and give me the straight dope.
Shotgun is just a rather modern term for a smoothbore is all . If referring to an 870 ( with field barrel attached) and you called it a smoothbore everyone today would look puzzled even though you would be correct . Smoothbore , and more correctly , Fowler is just an early name for a shotgun . Trade gun is a specific type of fowler / smoothbore....Musket is a military version of a smoothbore .. And so forth ... A neat old word for rifle is the " rifled gun " I see in old books some times . A firearm , say of the late 18th to mid 19 th century that looks just like a rifle but had a smoothbore was/is called a smooth rifle . It was cheaper to buy in the day.

Back