Handgun Hunting?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rodwha, Mar 10, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2019 #41

8 BORE

8 BORE

8 BORE

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

At 25 yds from a rest about a 3" group from either barrel. Holes from either bbl will usually touch. 50 gr. 3F Schutzen. Goex is not as consistant. Shot loads are 1oz dipper for both powder and shot. Goex with shot works good. Save the Schutzen for single balls.

rodwha and Enfield58 like this.
  2. Mar 13, 2019 #42

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

32 Cal

The black powder hunting regulations here in Idaho specifically prohibit a muzzle loading pistol and revolver for hunting, regardless of barrel length. (Revolvers because the cylinder is not loaded from the muzzle of the barrel.)
    On the plus side, during the muzzle loader only season 209 primers, and powder pellets are prohibited. The regulations specifically limit you to percussion caps, musket caps or flintlock, and loose powder and a round or conical ball that is within .01" of the bore diameter.
    Sabots are specifically prohibited.
    Unless a flint lock, when the hammer is cocked the cap/musket cap must be visible, too.
    I'm not sure if a black powder pistol of the approprite calibure can be used in the "Any Weapon" seasons.

NW Territory Woodsman and rodwha like this.
  3. Mar 14, 2019 #43

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

You know Rat - I believe you!!!

4. Mar 16, 2019 #44

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

As you should.

5. Mar 16, 2019 #45

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

That's funny, Washington State, just about the opposite. I can use my Plain's Pistol, and it pretty much fits the game dept.'s requirements to a "T". On the other hand, Washington has been allowing more and more concessions to the inline crowd, and more recently to the point that I believe about the only restrictions on ML's is no scopes, and I'm sure that will probably be coming next.

In Wa., the "Any Weapon" season(s) is actually a "any legal weapon" season. For instance bear can be hunted with "any legal weapon", meaning that a ML still has to meet it's requirements, (except that a double barrel can have both barrels loaded) same as with a modern rifle, handgun, etc. That is probably the case in Idaho, I would assume. ??

6. Mar 17, 2019 #46

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

A fair number of Zulus had firearms already, even more after the battle. Many of the Zulus at Rourke's Drift also had firearms.

7. Mar 17, 2019 #47

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

I have hunted and killed with a Ruger Old Army. I don't consider killing a skunk out next to the barn during the afternoon as hunting. Same for the Raccoon that was shot at the chicken coop one day around noon. I killed possums, raccoons, skunks, about 20 groundhogs, one or two errant dogs, a fox and even a few snakes. Some were just killed and most were hunted. The fox was killed late in the day as I waited for him. He had been killing one or two chickens per day. Around dusk he would come down off the hill behind the barn. I sat behind some bales of hay on a hay wagon waiting for him.

rshveyda, Woodnbow and rodwha like this.
  8. Mar 17, 2019 #48

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 Cal

We're fortunate that two of the best made "Zulu" movies are on YouTube. Although there are inaccuracies in every movie, they neglected to depict the solar eclipse in "Zulu Dawn."

There isn't much written about him but whenever anyone gets the chance, they should research Sasha Siemel. He hunted jaguars with a spear! I first read about him in Peter Capstick's book, "Death in Silent Places." There is some rare footage in this interview of someone who knew Sasha Siemel alnog with his widow.

bud in pa, desi23 and Woodnbow like this.
  9. Mar 19, 2019 #49

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

I am a fan of the spear, and often carry one when hiking, back packing or exploring. The spear is a far far far far more lethal and effective weapon than most people realize. Eskimos hunted polar bears with them, and Northern Alaskan Indians were quite fond of taking on Brown bears with a spear. And of course, some African tribes required a young man to kill a lion with a spear, to prove he was a man. Yeah!!! cavber.jpg

10. Mar 19, 2019 #50

bud in pa

bud in pa

bud in pa

40 Cal.

As a youngster I remember some black and white films of Sasha Siemel taking on Jaguars in South America. More testosterone than I have!

rodwha and Enfield58 like this.
  11. Mar 19, 2019 #51

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Well you shouldn't have put that fox in charge of the hen-house. Therein lies your mistake. Yep, racoons can really make a mess out of the chicken flock. We got hit badly once. What a bloody mess.

12. Mar 19, 2019 #52

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

Eskimos and other interior Indians here in Alaska used to use spears on bears (before they acquired firearms) in their dens, not in the open. Their technique was to find a den, work a hole in the roof and spear from above and outside,which makes a lot of sense when dealing with bears. But then was the risky job of going into the den to retrieve your hopefully dead prey. You may kill a bear in the open with a spear but not before he or she kills or maims you, which takes one swipe of a paw or head bite of their jaws and a mad bear isn't afraid of any spear wither black bear or brown bear.

13. Mar 19, 2019 #53

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

To my knowledge, and I have studied the Eskimo, a favorite ploy of the Eskimos was to sick the dogs on the bear, and kill it with spears, in the open. That had to be quite the melee I bet. !!! I also know that some of the Alaskan (interior) Indians would tease the bear until it charged, and then put the butt of the spear against a tree, and the bear would impale it's self, "run up the spear". A longer than normal spear was used for that. I believe a bear can be killed with a spear, in the open, but indeed it is a risky business, and you may indeed be killed. And of course your odds of success go up when you do such hunting in a group...few native people would seek out a bear to kill with a spear all by their selves. !!! Killing it with several spears would work better...spears, not spear. !! :) On the other hand, young men of certain African tribes, when killing the lion with a spear, in order to become a man, were required to do it alone. And of course, one would prefer to kill a bear in it's den I'm sure, rather than taking it on in the open. But we don't always get what we prefer.

14. Mar 20, 2019 #54

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Let's get off of the spear discussion and back to the original topic, Handgun Hunting.

IMO, the spear discussions belong on "The Traditional Spear Forum". (I'm sure there is something like that somewhere on the web.)

Woodnbow, Rat and Enfield58 like this.
  15. Mar 20, 2019 #55

nkbj

nkbj

nkbj

Cannon MLF Supporter

My first hand gun kill was about 1976 up in Stephens County Texas with a 1861.
    It was a hard pressed triple F running shot right through the shoulder.
    What we're talking here is instant pile up, real stopping power and just about the best dead flop you ever saw on a field mouse.

Woodnbow, rodwha and Enfield58 like this.
  16. Mar 20, 2019 #56

rodwha

rodwha

rodwha

58 Cal.

Sounds like the .36 really crushed both shoulders! Ha ha!

17. Mar 20, 2019 #57

Enfield58

Enfield58

Enfield58

40 Cal

Willy and Joe Rat.jpg

desi23 and Woodnbow like this.
  18. Mar 20, 2019 #58

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.

:)

19. Apr 1, 2019 #59

nhmoose

nhmoose

nhmoose

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Those spears need a cross stop on them so the nasty minded critter cannot crawl up the shaft and kill you for it bleeds out. That's the way Sasha Siemel did it.

t.willis and rodwha like this.
  20. Apr 5, 2019 #60

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

40 Cal

Rod, You might try shooting .50 Maxi Balls in the Great Plains. They surely will penetrate just fine, even at handgun velocity and recoil with a 50 grain load of fffg isn’t objectionable at all.

rodwha likes this.