• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgun barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 50 caliber flint lock smooth bore handgun. I want an extra barrel that is longer and rifled for hunting. Bought a 50 caliber inline barrel cheap that I can fit to the stock and lock. Questions are 1. How deep/ much thread does the breech plug need to be safe with deer loads? 2. Is there a rule of thumb for barrel wall thickness at powder charge? 3. This is a blue steel 50 caliber with a 1 in 28" twist, will it stabilize a patch round ball? From measurements the fit is doable. The barrel was cheap, I don't have that much in the flintlock smooth bore handgun. There would be a good bit of lathe and fitting to make a really nice gun. I can do a hunting gun with a lot less. The hunting gun is what this project is about. I am open to any suggestions good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Kind of out of my line, adapting barrels, but 1/2" breech thd will give plenty of strength on that end.
I have adapted "those" bbl. for under hammers & I just cut off back of bbl. & used existing breech thd for a new plug.
Only shooting will tell if a 1:28 will stabilize a ball, why not use a bullet, going to be close range shot isn't it ? Tom

As to range, if accuracy and energy/velocity permit, out to 50 yards. I know patched ball and modern handgun ammo are different. With open sight modern handguns have taken deer shooting from a rest at much greater distances. The accuracy and energy would be the limiting factor in range. Most deer shot around unless over a green field are under 70 yards. In woods under 50. After looking at it I will probably build without giving thought to putting smooth bore barrel back on in future. Can open stock some and turn barrel less. Barrel plug threads are metric. I was going to cut barrel off, easier to retap to standard threads than try to find bolt with that fine thread. Is something to think about with breech end of barrel that is left.

Back