• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand Mortar Research

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erzulis boat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a little checking in to hand mortars.
The stated purpose was to allow a soldier to propel a grenade farther than an individual could throw it. They will also be called grenade launchers in some texts.
The measured bores were in a variance between 1.72" and 3" basically. Some were configured much like a handgonne (mounted to a short shaft) and some were stocked like a period rifle.
The barrels were bronze or iron typically. Ignition was what was implemented for the current arms.
Every "major" army of the time used hand mortars in some capacity, albeit small. Historians state that the device had no real effect on a battles outcome, and they were never issued in any great numbers.
They were indeed hazardous to a degree, as the grenade was lit seperate from the means to propel it, so if the propelling ignition source failed....
As of the late 1600's there were requests to have the dishcharge of the flintlock mechanism(example) also then light the fuse of the grenade, but this technology was never implemented.
The Tower of London has 2 examples.
I am still interested in a drawing depicting the internal configuration of the barrel.

Back