• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I'm looking for historical examples/depictions of left-handed matchlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1643838825145.png

Automatic pan-cover matchlock pistol with left hand lock | lot 15 | Vente d'Automne d'Armes Antiques et Militaria - Première Vacation at Czerny's | Auction.fr | English

https://www.auction.fr/_en/lot/a-sc...-matchlock-pistol-with-left-hand-lock-2183584

Hello,
New member here curious to find either authentic historical examples, or historical depictions, of left-handed matchlock firearms. Could be from any date (pre-20th century) and any place in the world.

There's a museum in Germany that has an interesting bronze-barreled arquebus with a left-side lock, dated to around 1500: Gewehr: Linksseitige Handbüchse mit Luntenschloss

I've also seen some historical illustrations from the matchlock era of guys shooting left-handed, although I don't know if that was just artistic license or if left-handed guns were actually seen on the battlefield at the time of the illustrations. One example is this illustration from the "Luzerner Kronik" by Diebolld Schilling, circa 1513. We can see that the guy at the top is shooting right-handed while the three guys below are shooting off the left shoulder: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=46375&stc=1&d=1245766481

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that in the early period of matchlock guns (15th century and early 16th), many firearms were still being made to order in regional workshops, rather than mass-produced to standard patterns in centralised arsenals. Thus, it may have been more likely to find left-handed guns being made in that early period than in later years when matchlock guns were being cranked out by the hundreds from state arsenals conforming to standard patterns.

Oh, and just to pre-empt the old "left-handed folks weren't tolerated in ye olde tymes" thing ;) I'd like to point out the Ottoman solaks (left-handed archers) as well as instances of left-handed sword grips being illustrated in old manuscripts, such as the 15th century Pisani-Dossi.
At certain times in certain locations way back in history, Left Handedness was considered evil and of the devil; in heraldry, left-hand is called "sinister". Also, if use of a match lock was in ranks, that would not mix with the other soldiers. Good luck with your research, it's always good to be curious and dig up details from the past.

That's an interesting one, Bayer. First I can recall seeing, and looked at piles of them in Michael Tromner's threads on Viking Sword.

Two comment on this subject,
One, in the 1500's, nothing much was standardised, so left hand locks are a possibility, proven in Bayers link above,

and two,
It makes sense to keep your eyes as far as possible away from the flash, and as most shooters seem to be right handed, (but by no means all)
then standard practice would dictate a right side of the gun lock. as we also see. logic in other words, And, not many having custom guns made at that time.

Trettie.
I have always liked that old print you show!
Artistic licence most likely accounts for the left hand shooting. just like those prints that show blokes firingnguns with the stock Over the shoulder...
ignorance of actual shooting also may have something to do with it, But! We never will know!

Thanks for adding the picture!

I think to answer the question you have to take a bit of a step back challenge your assumptions a bit. What we recognize as a left handed lock today may not have been thought of as left handed by people of the time period. Maybe the maker wanted the lock mechanism to be visible to the off eye so that the shooter could see what was going on with it and tend to the match easier. Or would they have even considered handedness a thing when shooting a gun that requires both hands? About 30% of the population is left eye dominant and should be shooting what we consider left handed today, so maybe they just shot with their dominant eye and didn't consider handedness at all since both hands were required.
Good points!!
James

That's an interesting one, Bayer. First I can recall seeing, and looked at piles of them in Michael Tromner's threads on Viking Sword.

Two comment on this subject,
One, in the 1500's, nothing much was standardised, so left hand locks are a possibility, proven in Bayers link above,

and two,
It makes sense to keep your eyes as far as possible away from the flash, and as most shooters seem to be right handed, (but by no means all)
then standard practice would dictate a right side of the gun lock. as we also see. logic in other words, And, not many having custom guns made at that time.

Trettie.
I have always liked that old print you show!
Artistic licence most likely accounts for the left hand shooting. just like those prints that show blokes firingnguns with the stock Over the shoulder...
ignorance of actual shooting also may have something to do with it, But! We never will know!

Thanks for adding the picture!

A drawback of the engraving/printing process is that sometimes images get reversed, so they always have to be taken with caution.

At certain times in certain locations way back in history, Left Handedness was considered evil and of the devil; in heraldry, left-hand is called "sinister". Also, if use of a match lock was in ranks, that would not mix with the other soldiers. Good luck with your research, it's always good to be curious and dig up details from the past.

As previously noted in post #8............. Close order ranks only got used by pikemen, for obvious reasons [see the Tercio, last battle of Rocroi in the movie 'Alatriste'] You'll see that the musketeers are at least separated by a man's width to give them room to wheel and retreat to reload.

Our fortunate friend over in Hungary, capandball, has had a skilled craftsman make him a pair of wheellock pistols....I posted the YouTube movie a while back.

And for Bayer1957 - the matchlock has a name that is also the same in German - Luntenschloss.

Back