• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hammer to nipple alignment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim m

32 Cal.
Reaction score
have a lyman gpr, not really having problems with misfires but just don't like the way it looks. any simple fixes? :hmm:
IMGP0051.jpg

note how hammer just bearly catches nipple, it needs move forward a little

The hammer throw looks short and the angle of the hammer hose is off too...Don't believe you can change the angle of the nipple threads in the breech without major work, which would fix the whole thing...

You can either try a different hammer with a longer throw and also heat and bent the nose to get a straight on hit on the nipple....Or, take the hammer you have and heat/pound it to lengthen its throw and change the angle on its nose section...This activity with wreck the case color finish...

In any case I would shorten the nipple up to get the hammer down some or increase the depth of the recess in the hammer nose...You just need enough nipple in my opinion to get the cap all the way on plus a little more...

A quick fix to get what you have to give an even strike on the nipple would be to angle the bottom of the recess so it's 90 degrees to the nipple center line....Have done this on ocassion, but it's not the best and the whole works still looks like manure.... :winking: ...The Best...The Lizard...

hey thanks lizzard, I'll try shortening the nipple first, as it's plenty long and is a replacement. :bow:

If you do shorten it you will also need to trim down the outside of the nipple as you can see it gets thicker towards the base of the "neck".

If it is just looks and not function I would think using it as is and trying to find a proper replacement nipple would be the best fix.

If the gun is new and came like that ship it back to the factory repair shop to be fixed.

I have the same exact problem with mine. It's a Cabelas Hawken made by Investarms, maker of Lyman. It fires without a problem but I wanted to change over to a musket nipple and no go. The hammer was way off and wouldnt strike the cap. I dont know if I should bother contacting Cabelas or just keep shooting it with #11's
Frank

got it straigtened out. found another nipple and problem went away. don't know where I got the bad nipple but it's history now. if only all of lifes problems were that simple

jim m said:
if only all of lifes problems were that simple

We can only dream. :rotf: :hatsoff: Glad you got it sorted, now go and run lots of bullets through that lovely rifle!

Many of them musketcap nipples are too big even though they fit the rifle. I have never had a problem with 11 caps so I just shoot them. I do use the magnum ones on slow firing rifles.

Back