• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer does not strike cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacobillie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken. I shot it today, and one out of every two times or so, the hammer does not strike the cap. It stops just short. This never happened before. What is going on?

It only does it when I set the trigger. If I use the front trigger in non-set mode, it goes all the way.

I took the lock out. It worksd fine, the issue only occurs when the lock is installed.

Well, if it works with the front trigger it is going to work when it's out. :wink:

When the lock stops is it hung in the half-cock notch?

If it is you could have a sticky fly.

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
Well, if it works with the front trigger it is going to work when it's out. :wink:

When the lock stops is it hung in the half-cock notch?

If it is you could have a sticky fly.

Enjoy, J.D.

It is hung in the half cock position indeed.

Also, the fly on my pants does not stick:`)

Seriously, what is a sticky fly and how does one deal with it?

The fly is the tiny part on the tumbler of the lock that swivels to block the half-cock notch when you use the set-trigger.

I haven't looked at a T/C lock for a while but it is either on the outside of the tumbler, right under the bridle or under the tumbler, between it and the lock plate.

Basically, you have crud in your lock. If you don't know what you are doing I don't suggest you take it apart. You can hit the lock internals with several blast of compressed air and try to blow the manure out. If that doesn't work find somebody to service it.

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
The fly is the tiny part on the tumbler of the lock that swivels to block the half-cock notch when you use the set-trigger.

I haven't looked at a T/C lock for a while but it is either on the outside of the tumbler, right under the bridle or under the tumbler, between it and the lock plate.

Basically, you have crud in your lock. If you don't know what you are doing I don't suggest you take it apart. You can hit the lock internals with several blast of compressed air and try to blow the manure out. If that doesn't work find somebody to service it.

Enjoy, J.D.

I will try the compressed air. Any point in dipping the lock in solvent first to soften things up?

Just try air first. It is likely just debris as powder fowling shouldn't be a problem there.

The problem with solvent is that if you don't get it all out it will break down any lubricant and not allow it to work.

If the air doesn't work it will likely need disassembled, cleaned and lightly oiled.

Enjoy, J.D.

Pacobillie,clean the lock up with gas or brake cleaner,then blow it out and relube everything.Make sure all the screws are tight on the lock.The TC's are notorious for the 2 bridal screws coming loose,then messing with lock operation.I put Locktite on mine they kept coming loose so often.Also sometimes the trigger needs to be re-adjusted on the TC's.Good Luck.

I keep a spray can of automobile brake cleaner on hand to flush crud out of my locks. It is a very effective way to flush crud out of your lock. Remove your lock, spray it with the cleaner, follow that with a good blowing with compressed air and then a light oiling of all of the moving parts. This usually resolves all lock crud problems. Just be careful not to get the cleaner on any part of your stock because it can damage some finishes.

Good idea. Carb cleaner would work too. As pointed out blow out with compressed air after either.

Use a good gun oil...sparingly...after all is dry. Just a drop on each of the moving surfaces.

Enjoy, J.D.

Seems like I recall that TC locks flys can get out of place if the bridle gets loose.

It might be worth locating the fly and making sure it is in place and that the screws that hold the bridle are snugly tightened.

Course I might be wrong. Been a long time since I was into a TC lock.

Good advice here so far, clean it and re-lube and tighten those two screws. This is what the fly looks like with the bridle removed; :wink:
It's a little floppy things that helps the sear skip past half-cock, but only when the set trigger is used.

HPIM0589.jpg

Here is the final report. The two bridle screws were not totally tight. I tightened them up. If they come loose again, I will use blue Locktite.

I also dipped the entire lock in odorless mineral spirits to get the old oil out of the lock. Then I dried it with compressed air and re-installed the lock. There was some black grit at the bottom of the tub in which I soaked the lock. Thus, it may have been crudded up as some crud came out. It now works like a charm.

Thanks for the advice!

Prairieofthedog said:
Pacobillie,clean the lock up with gas or brake cleaner,then blow it out and relube everything.Make sure all the screws are tight on the lock.The TC's are notorious for the 2 bridal screws coming loose,then messing with lock operation.I put Locktite on mine they kept coming loose so often.Also sometimes the trigger needs to be re-adjusted on the TC's.Good Luck.

Muzzleloading: the only field where a casual discussion of "cock", "balls","nipples" and "bridal (sic) screws" is not viewed as offensive by anyone.

[/quote]
"Muzzleloading: the only field where a casual discussion of "cock", "balls","nipples" and "bridal (sic) screws" is not viewed as offensive by anyone."[/quote]

Amen Brother...

I have had the same thing happen. A lock washer won't fit on the screws and Lock Tight is heresy. What's a guy to do?

If he's smart he either checks the screws tightness every time he cleans his gun or he bites the roundball and used Loc Tite.

If this doesnt suit him/her then a light coat of clear fingernail polish on the threads while the screw is being installed will also work.

Back