• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Halfway done deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will need to disagree.

Agreed.

In most cases I would say the same thing as you. There are other times when I believe it is best to keep the animal moving. In my 30 years of hunting I have seen several deer lost (mine and others') because they bedded down and their wound stopped bleeding. Then they got up and walked away without leaving a blood trail to follow.

On the other hand, I have also seen wounded deer lost because they were pushed too hard too soon.

This time I think I made the right decision.

On another hunt years ago I shot a trotting three point at 180 yds. Lead it by aiming at the neck (a bit fwd and a bit high from vitals). Well Thankfully I was hunting with a real true hillbilly from KY. I thought I missed and he argued (on his hands and knees) till he found fluid. GUT SHOT! this here hill billy tracked a gut shot and found a drop of blood about 60 yds away. Lost the trail. Cirlced, jumped him. Trailed gut juice on his hands n knees about 50 or 6o more yds, one drop of blood. Dried up. Circled, jumped him, repeat repeat repeat. Got a finishing shot 4.9 miles (GPS) and cleaning I had knicked the liver just enough to bleed a bit then quit. Had we not pushed him hard he would have died in the brush in agony.

This hillbilly runs after archery shot elk n deer. He believes in never losing sight. I couldnt keep up if I wanted and will treat each shot as per circumstances. However it goes to show sometimes ya gotta push, other times not!

FWIW next time wont happen :nono: , older n wiser. BUT if it did I believe a hold on the nose woulda done the job! :youcrazy:

Back