• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half stock or fullstock flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treestalker

Treestalker
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm considering building a flintlock rifle in octagon to round configuration to lessen muzzle weight. Would a fullstock or halfstock with rib be more appropriate, and what styles? I mainly want a lighter rifle for deer that I can shoot offhand and would like it to be historical but plain. Pictures would be great! Thanks, George.

It woulrackd be difficult to beat the Harper'so Ferry 1803. It's an octagon to round half stock in 54 caliber. Kits are offered by the Rifle Shoppe, Track of the Wolf, and several others (Pedersoli ?).

I would think getting a 15/16 inch barrel in .54 caliber would be the best way to shave weight. You can shave nearly a pound of weight by taking the .54 over the .45.

Also, just my thoughts about it, the weight saved from going to round from octagon would be offset by the addition of an iron rib under the barrel. Also a straight octagon would cost less than the octagon to round barrel. Would not have to buy the rib and extra work need to mount it and the pipes under the barrel.

Here is a Leman flintlock in .54 I built 6 or 7 years ago. Thirty-six inch barrel. Doesn't seem to be too heavy. The longer sight radius helps older eyes like mine.

Seems like when I was collecting parts I had to go all over the country because no one had a complete kit. I had to make a few parts by hand.

leman%20001_zps4vpjvvxx.jpg

leman%20002_zpsclbqnapb.jpg

leman%20003_zps9n1ukann.jpg

Joe

This is styled after a Virginia LR and is a .54 oct/rd barrel X 44" lg. The oct/rd bbl certainly will yield a lighter, less muzzle heavy rifle even though it's 44" lg. W/ a half stock, a hollow rib should be used otherwise a solid rib would negate the lightness of a oct/rd bbl. A shorter bbl for a half stock would also reduce the weight if a solid rib were used....but then, IMO, it wouldn't look as nice.

If aesthetics hold any value, a full stock in my opinion looks "nicer" than a hslf stock which on average would be a later gun.

"Flintlock and octagon to round" rings "early" to me, so would be a fullstock. I've seen numerous originals, both rifled and smooth, with the attributes of a rifle. Mine is being built (by someone with far more talent than me) with a 38" Colerain octagon to round .58 rifled barrel.

J P Beck photo (original) https://encrypted.google.com/searc...tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU uY3ow6DMAhWKaT4KHYWNCLoQsAQIGw&biw=1227&bih=605#imgrc=oIKL8tDuvrxEIM%3A

3rd image

Last edited by a moderator:
:metoo: I have one of those in the works, but in brass. A 36" 15/16" octagon in .54 is reasonably light, but doesn't balance the same as an even heaver swamped or octagon to round barrel. It depends upon how long and light the rifle needs to be.

The only thing better looking then a full-stock is...

Scratch that, there is nothing better looking then a full-stock except maybe a Victoria Secrets Model :rotf:

Thanks guys, good ideas and pictures. I have two barrels, one is a GM 36"x1" .54 that is just too heavy for me the other is a 15/16 octagon to rnd 36" long .50 cal. I just acquired a Pedersoli flintlock from a gentleman on the Forum and was considering the possibilities. I'm leaning towards a fullstock like a short Virginia(?) or a half stock "civilian" version of the 1803 Harpers Ferry. Just have to be able to hold it up for offhand shooting :shocked2: Respectfully, George.

Here is one I just had built this year. 54 caliber with 15/16 Barrel. Seems to be plenty light enough for off hand shooting.
6fdd2c4e0c41d9878227b39787b0ecd9_zps3gbtgacq.jpg

The only way you are going to save any meaningful weight is by using a shorter/thinner barrel.
The extra weight of the wood that is the difference between the two styles of stocks is as nothing.

Wow, gentlemen, I really like the pictures and advice. Mr. Yanta, I love the Lemans and considered building one out of my 54 barrel. Yours is gorgeous, as is your rifle Mr. Richard. The full stock really appeals to me, and I hope to attend the muzzle shoot in Berryville next month. Perhaps I can trade my .54 barrel for a light 36" or 42" barrel in .40 or .45 cal. Patience is the key in this hobby, and using what's available if you're on a limited income like myself. I'm rich in friends though and you fellas on the Forum illustrate that fact every time I need help. Thanks for your responses and I hope I can prove as worthy a friend to others as you are to me. George.

Go to the track of the wolf site.Look up gun parts and find the barrel section they have all the barrel weights listed.Then you can decide what size you would like.If you would like a half stocked rifle make one.Im sure there were fullstocked rifles that the forearm was broken and made into half stocked rifles.Also to lighten it up more use a wooden under rib instead of a metal one.

While it might be surprising, my half stock is a great deal heavier than my longrifle. They are both .50. The long rifle's barrel is swamped while the half stock is straight. This floored me when I went to a show and held some really long rifles (like 40" +)

The kicker is how it's balanced. Something like a Bess feels heavy, but an Isaac Haines or Lehigh definitely doesn't - the Lehigh feels feathery, even the .58 I handled. Really remarkable! If you're going somewhere that has some examples for you to handle, check out the longest ones and give a feel. Hopefully your weighty concerns will be lightened (I couldn't resist)

Hey. Stalker glad to see you are looking at a flinter. I like full stock long rifles. Hope to be at Berryville but it's a long way from S TX. Look me up. Heck I may even have some trade material.
TC

treestalker said:
Wow, gentlemen, I really like the pictures and advice. Mr. Yanta, I love the Lemans and considered building one out of my 54 barrel. Yours is gorgeous, as is your rifle Mr. Richard. The full stock really appeals to me, and I hope to attend the muzzle shoot in Berryville next month. Perhaps I can trade my .54 barrel for a light 36" or 42" barrel in .40 or .45 cal. Patience is the key in this hobby, and using what's available if you're on a limited income like myself. I'm rich in friends though and you fellas on the Forum illustrate that fact every time I need help. Thanks for your responses and I hope I can prove as worthy a friend to others as you are to me. George.

Do also consider a swamped barrel. Best of bothe worlds, saved weight and full stock beauty. But, be aware, a light rifle in big bore caliber, like a .54 or .58 will be an uncomfortable kicker, especially with hunting loads. Fact of life, nothing is gained without losing something. Maybe we will run into each other at Berryville. While there ask around for who it a good builder.

The other thing to consider is that a heavier barrel will be stiffer than a lighter one, and have more intrinsic accuracy due to that fact. That's part of the reason competition .22's use 20" barrels with 4" sight extensions rather than 24" barrels. But those are guns that shoot 0.1" 50 yard groups, not 1" groups like most ML'ers.

Rifleman1776 said:
Do also consider a swamped barrel. Best of both worlds, saved weight and full stock beauty. But, be aware, a light rifle in big bore caliber, like a .54 or .58 will be an uncomfortable kicker, especially with hunting loads. Fact of life, nothing is gained without losing something. Maybe we will run into each other at Berryville. While there ask around for who it a good builder.

This NOT necessarily so. My .58 weighs in at 7# and is NOT a hard kicker even with 100gr fffg. Likewise, my 7-1/4# .62 is pleasant with 100-120gr fffg, but gets a little snorty with 140gr. Both of those rifles have 2"+ wide buttplates and are fairly straight, meaning not much drop. Stock design means a lot!

Back