• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Haines Ladies Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to try to attach a few photos of one I delivered today.

Petite little gun with....
13" trigger pull, brass hardware, L&R conversion lock, davis small sett triggers, swamped 38" "A" weight .40 cal GM barrel.
She weighs about 7.5 lbs.
Tell me what you think.
LittleGal022.jpg

LittleGal03001.jpg

LittleGal02005.jpg

107.jpg

LittleGal0110.jpg

LittleGal019.jpg

FIRST RATE!!! :applause:

:hmm: There seems to be a problem with the lock, there is no flint in the cock and the frizzen is missing. :rotf:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

WOW! Beautiful little rifle. Love the stock, what kind of wood is it? Would make a nice Mother's Day gift for some lucky gal. :thumbsup:

That's curly maple, the "correctest" of the various woods that are appropriate on Pennsylvania longrifles, and the prettiest, in the opinion of most fans of the longrifle. Also perhaps the hardest kind to work with, and the curlier (fancier / more expensive) it is, the more this is so. When it splits or cracks, there's quite often no telling which direction the break will go, and, again, the fancier the wood, the more prone to splits and cracks it tends to be. But.... the photos above explain why it's the favorite, and has been for some two hundred and fifty years.

Beautiful work.

that's a keeper smallpatch, someone will be very lucky indeed. What did you use to stain the stock with?

That is a beautiful piece of art.Great job. Is it for a family member? That would make a great heirloom to pass down. :grin:

Ladies rifle? Heck I shoot with a 13" length of pull :grin:

Great lookin gun :bow: :v

Thanks guys, I'll try to answer a few questions.

First... it is indeed red maple (curley maple), it is however, like most red maple, pretty hard to carve. Had a few pity places, which no one would ever notice unless they tried to carve on it. Pretty tough getting some areas smooth after relieving.
Second... I'd like to say I used Aqua-Fortis, but it would be a lie. I used a combination of 3 different LMF stains, till I got the colors I wanted. Honey Maple, Lancaster Maple, and American Walnut. It was finished initially with Permalyn Sealer, but I tipped the can over midway, and had to finish with Tru-oil, so it got a little more glossy than I wanted.

Third, I built it for a lady that shoots with our club. Delivered it yesterday. This is her first venture into a custom gun. She IS a happy camper.
While it is quite a shootable gun for anyone, it is a little more petite. Slender and graceful with the "A' weight barrel. Weighs right around 7 1/2 lbs.
Thanks for the comments.

Just rec'd a new catalog from MBS and saw your 3 excellent MLing long guns and this "lady's LR, along w/ those in the MBS catalog, display your talent w/ building a wide variety of MLing arms. Your Lehigh pictured in the MBS catalog is truly a realistic rendition of a very intrigueing style of a PA school of gunmaking and seeing I'm very hesitant to "tackle" this style, would you be so kind and describe the procedure and sources you depended on to bring this wonderful LR to reality?
If this is too entailed for this forum, I surely would like an e-mail, if possible, to [email protected]. Any info would be greatly appreciated.....Fred

Smallpatch,
That is a beautiful gun, and I bet she is a VERY happy camper.. I know I would be... I have a Haines, althought its not cut down any, it doesnt way much over what that one did...B weight barrel and it shoots like a dream... She will hug you every time she shoots it lol

Very good looking gun Smallpatch. I'm working on a red maple now and kinda like the way it works. I'm not nearly good enough to worry much about high level carving. I can see some good points with the red maple along with the bad..with a no frills gun I think I would prefer red.

Latest posts

Back