• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had this just handed to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To clean up and see what I can find out about it. Don't worry, already told the guy why I'm not going to do anything to the gun that would mess up the patina on the steel or the brass. In fact I'm just going to run a brush through the bore of this matching number 1860 ser# 20065 and wonder what it would say if it could talk.

I'm told if I behave I'll get to look up close at a beautiful original 1851 London model colt. :grin:

DSCF3656.JPG

DSCF3657.JPG

DSCF3658.JPG

DSCF3659.JPG

DSCF3660.JPG

DSCF3661.JPG

I'd like to try and pin point when exactly it was made. Anyone know about the manufacture dates on these Colts? I do have a range and can put this some where in late 1861 but would like to find the month and possibly the day if possible. I know about the Colt Archive thing but would like to try to find info before he thinks about spending 300 bucks for them to research the pistol.

Yeah, Swampy, you have the year pretty much nailed but I can't help you on month/day. Sorry. Nice gun BTW.

That one looks real nice. From the photos looks like the action is still tight? And matching #'s. :thumbsup: If you need some extra help cleaning, I'll volunteer! Nice gun. Rick.

Actually the gun from grip to cylinder is surprisingly in great shape. The gun cocks really smooth. The only thing with it is the barrel has a bit of a wobble to it where its loosened up. The nipples look ok and if it weren't for the loose barrel, this gun could be loaded up and fired no problem.

The owner just called and is on his way over with the original 51'. :grin:

I noticed the cutouts on both sides of the frame behind the cylinder, I wonder if this mod was made to help clear cap fragments. You can see the mill marks so it I think it was done after the gun was purchased. Any ideas.

I about fell over when he told me what he paid for the pair. Guess there was a bidding war going on for this 60' between a few guys.

Brain fart, I just looked at mine and it does have those cutouts from the factory please disregard my last statement. :redface:

Galen

Swampy, I just saw your remark about the shoulder stock, now it all makes sense. I learned something new, it's a great day

Years ago, I was given a Marlin Model 1892 lever-action rifle in about the same condition.
The only thing I did was to take it apart, carefully with proper-sized screwdrivers, and scrubbed all surfaces in hot, soapy water with a nylon brush.
A few interior parts had light rust, so I took a brass brush to them, since they wouldn't be visible.
Rinsing and drying all the parts, I let it sit a week in my warm apartment.
I oiled the metal parts lightly with 3-In-1 oil and reassembled.
The wood, I washed quickly with hot, soapy water and scrubbed off the grime with a soft, nylon brush. All I wanted to do was loosen and float away dirt, but not finish. Worked very well.
After the stock and forearm had dried for a week, I oiled them lightly with pure lemon oil. NOT Pledge or any polish that contains wax, just a simple, small bottle of pure lemon wax.
It soaked into the wood beautifully but didn't give it an artificial shine.
The rifle still looks original, but I feel better knowing that the crud in the nooks and crannies is gone and can't soak up moisture to promote rust. I've had it about 15 years now, and it still has its brownish metal, with slight patina.
So ... did I do wrong? Is removing grime and dirt from an old gun a big no-no? I don't believe so, unless that crud has historical value such as an old rifle used in the trenches of World War I that still has splatters of mud on it.
In this instance, I believe removing the crud would be sacrilege.
But how do the rest of you feel? Will a quick bath in hot, soapy water and light scrubbing with a soft, plastic brush affect value?

Latest posts

Back