• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H.E. Dimick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Comer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am no exspert just going by what I have read on the internet would like confirmation and a few photo's. the H.E. Dimick Rifle was used in the civil war as a sharpshooting rifle it's my understanding that the had Lawrence Patent Sights I don't know what these are would love to see a photo also they used Swiss Chasseur Minie Balls would love to see a photo of these as well. thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Dimick was a St. Louis gun maker and contemporary with the Hawken Bro.s. I am not aware of the Dimick rifle being used as a sniper rifle in War Betwixt the States.

I do know of possibly one Hawken rifle being used in Arkansas. This was by irregular troops. I think it is very unlikely that a Dimick was used as an issue weapon.

A Dimick kind of favors an English Sporting rifle of the time. It is known that English Target rifles, namely the Whitworth were used to great effect by the Confederacy. Many had telescopic sights. So someone may be getting the Dimick confused with the English rifles like the Whitworth.

Well I did some research and indeed Dimick did provide rifles to the " Western Sharp shooters". What I read is that he produced 150 of his own rifles and provided the rest from other makers ,some even in the East.
What ever the troops were issued, they called them Dimicks even if they were not Dimick made. Some of these rifles were apparently as small as .40 caliber.

Most of these Plains sporting rifles were replaced by the lever action Henry later in the war, at the soldiers expense in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back