• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A "The Off hand"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyKid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a H&A "The Off Hand". I need to remove the barrel and, from reading past posts here, it's held in place by a single pin. Despite soaking in Kroil and applying heat to the receiver, this pin won't budge. Is there any specific direction this pin needs to be removed from? I'm thinking no, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks,
Tom

The pin is tapered-bigger in diameter on one end than the other. It needs to be driven out from right to left (when viewed from the shooting position). Use a brass drift pin and hammer. They can be quite stubborn if they haven't been removed in a while.I remove mine every time I clean it, so it's not a problem.When you replce it (from left to right), lightly oil it and use a soft hammer and just get it snug.There's no need to beat on it. I've never had one drop out in use.

Thanks. From the marks on the right side of the pin and a pristine left side, I figured as much. Been bending my brass punches. I know the barrel was once removed because someone had it chromed and did not take care of the bore as it's pretty roached. I'll just keep with the stuck pin three-step-shuffle....kroil..heat...tap.....kroil...heat...tap :wink:
Tom

I don't think heat it will help. When ya heat it the metal will expand and make it harder to remove. I would apply some brake free let it sit for awhile then try to remove it.

I was applying the heat to the receiver/barrel and not the pin, with the idea that the surrounding metal would expand and loosen the pin...it's worked for me before, but this one is stubborn.
Tom

Keep going with the Kroil...it's better than any other. You may want to try a nail set punch and a heavy hammer to get it started. Make sure the receiver is well supported on a bock of wood with a hole in it for the pin. I've heard from others that they can be a bear to get started if they've been left in.

I never liked hammering on the H&A I have so you can try this. Get a large "C" Clamp and some large washers. The hole in the washer needs to be larger than the big end of the tapered pin. Also the washer needs to be thick enough to accept the length of the small end of the tapered pin that sticks out on the side. Use the washers against the big end of the tapered pin with the swivel end of the clamp. Put the hard end of the clamp against the small end of the tapered pin. Turn the clamp and it will pop the pin out into the washer. Good luck, those are great rifles.

Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone on a 50:50 mix will give you roughly 1/2 the breaking force of Kroil.

andles said:
I never liked hammering on the H&A I have so you can try this. Get a large "C" Clamp and some large washers. The hole in the washer needs to be larger than the big end of the tapered pin. Also the washer needs to be thick enough to accept the length of the small end of the tapered pin that sticks out on the side. Use the washers against the big end of the tapered pin with the swivel end of the clamp. Put the hard end of the clamp against the small end of the tapered pin. Turn the clamp and it will pop the pin out into the washer. Good luck, those are great rifles.

I tried your suggestion and it didn't budge...great idea, though.
Tom

Old Ford said:
The best way is to soak with oil, then use a hydraulic press.
That way you will do no damage.
Fred

Work smarter, not harder? I like this.
Tom

I've having a bear of a time putting the action back together...specifically the trigger spring/trigger. Of course, I went and bent the spring, too. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

To replace the trigger and trigger spring, first remove the hammer and trigger guard-main spring.
Install trigger and spring into the action, then install hammer, install trigger guard- main spring last.

The trigger spring can be bent back into shape if needed.

SC45-70

Reading these posts I'll suggest a couple of things. At Tractor Supply in Texas a Gallon of PB-Blaster is less than $30 and you will have it for years. If you soak the area with the oil in this and pour some down the barrel for good measure. Give it two days or three to soak and try the press again with a hard steel rod of the correct size. If this does not work give it another three days. If it does not give then you have a real proble. The hard drill rod may screw up the pin so order another if you can. Good Luck! Geo. T.

Back