• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gunkit ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at my first kit and think
I want a lyman great plains hunter.My
question is there is a decent difference
in price between midsouth and track of the
wolf.I was wandering what your opinions
are as to the best place to buy the kit
and also your thoughts on this as a first
flinter thanks in advance

I've had very good luck with Midsouth for more than 20 years. Never a complaint; but that also means I've never tried to return anything. I get almost all my reloading components and dies from them. They don't have much in traditional M/L, but what they do have is at good prices.

I've had good luck dealing with Track of the Wolf. They have a great catalog showing many kits, parts, books etc. and they offer prompt service provided the item is in stock. Also, the guys up there are very helpful for the most part.

Bought a GPR kit from Midsouth and didn't like the stock. They replaced the kit promptly with no hassels. Good price and great company to deal with.

Wick,

Most of what they sell is not their own. Look at the Rifle Shoppe and Pecatonica River kits and see if you spot the resemblance.

Nothing against Track as I order from them often and like them, but you should know what is going on.

CS

I have bought items from both vendors, but I've bought more from MidSouth over time. Didn't have any problems with either place. If the savings are significant, I'd say go with MidSouth, but remember... that you're keeping a "mostly muzzleloading" place in business if you buy from Track of The Wolf.

BTW, it's sounds like you are already in love with the Lyman. They are nice rifles!

Good Luck with your Choice...
WV_Hillbilly

I... think there is a decent difference...
I was wandering (wondering perhaps)what your opinions are as to the best place to buy the kit
and also your thoughts on this as a first
flinter thanks in advance

Traddawg, yea there is a decent difference as long as your not wandering around asking for an opinion of a team member being irresponsible. But as long as your wondering....Forget the flintlock and learn to fulfil a promise. Oh yea don't forget to mail the check to the company or you won't get a first flinter ever.

Sincerely,
Disappointed

I would like to respond to the last post
I did not send in the target for the postal
match because of the death of my best friend.
I owe you an apology for that and I am
very sorry .

I think Mid South has always had the best price and the LGP is a good starter gun, but I would go with the RB barreled version and forget trying to shoot modern bullets and enjoy the simpler traditional ML experience.

Back