• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

greetings from SW Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drboompa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Am a displaced Texan living in SW Missouri. Love guns of all types, expecially milsurps and very old ones. :)
Don't have a muzzleloader yet, still trying to decide what to get. I love the long barrels of the Penn and Kentucky rifles. Assumed the precussion is easier to use than flint??

Just looking and learning on this forum. It seems to be a good place to "go to school."

:hatsoff: Howdy Dr,welcome to the site.I'm sure you'll get some view points on gun selection.Depends on what ya wanny use it fer.62cal 20 ga.would be a good selection fer all around hunting with.A good .45 or .50 cal flinter might also do the job for ya.Griz

HOWDY From mid mo you came to the right spot you will find alot of help here great bunch of guys
neal (50 cal)

Welcome to the forum! We all started out in your shoes; I would suggest trying to find a local club or range where M/L guns are used and trying some out. Most shooters are a friendly bunch and will let you shoot their guns so you can form your own opinion as to what suits you for a first gun.

Welcome to the MLF Dr! There are lots of friendly knowlegable folks here on the site and its the best BP forum on the net. Let us know what you end up choosing for a smoke pole.

Welcome to a great traditional forum! :) I started out with a percussion , and many feel it best to get your feet wet in muzzleloading with one . maybe so ? They seem to be a little more forgiveing than a flinter ! But if you can find a group or club to coach you a long , a flinter would be fine ! More than likely you'll graduate to one , or two ,or three etc.etc. :hmm: :rotf:

Dr,
Welcome to the MLF.Look around,there is a lot of information available here.If you go to the right forum I am sure you will get quite a few
comments pro and con on F/L vs P/L.
Hope you will visit and contribute often.
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Hey Dr B.

SW MO is some pretty country. My wife is from over in Douglas County and dragged her here to TX.

Percussion or flint, they've each got their foibles. I shoot a flinter nowadays. It's a matter of what you want to get comfortable with.

A flinter with a good lock and good flint is almost as fast a percussion gun. Either one will sure teach you what "follow through" means.

Howdy from the Lone Star,
Willie

Hello Dr. from the hills fo TN. You have found a great place to spend the rest of your days pondering the Abbys of Black Powder LOL!!!
So pull you up a chair and enjoy:)!!!

Thanks to all of you for making me welcome. I have a decent collection of milsurps and now am ready for the MLs. I have really learned a lot from reading the many posts on the forums. Yes, I will try and find a way to get my hands on one. Interesting enough, my own son-in-law has a Hawken cap but will not shoot it. Says it takes too much time to clean. I can't get my hands on it. His father gave it to him and he treasures it. It gathers rust in his gun safe. LOL

Welcome from the KC side of the State; for a first smokepole, I'd go with a caplock especially if you're looking at used ones. I shoot flint primarily but started with caplocks and I'm glad I did.

Back