• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greeting from Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How I envy you for such an adventure. I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to to be regaled by tales of such exploits. Please, indulge us.

How I envy you for such an adventure. I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to to be regaled by tales of such exploits. Please, indulge us.
Well the adventure started in 2000 when we hauled the two pirogues to Elizabethtown PA. and launched on the Monongahela River at that time the second keelboat wasn't complete. Elizabethtown is where Lewis bought the keelboat in 1800. We proceeded down the Monongahela to Fort Pit where the Allegany becomes the Ohio. We fired a salute with our small cannon as we normally did when coming into a new place and were promptly greeted by two secret Service agents who inform use there would be NO firing of weapons when we were there. This was right before the 2000 election on labor day weekend and Al Gore was having a rally the day after we were to leave.
So we proceeded to set up camp and get the evening meal going. Later that evening we were sitting on the walkway just above the pier where the boats tied when we saw red lights out on the river, remember this is a holiday weekend. The PA. water patrol had stop a guy for operating under the influence. They brought him over to the pier for a on scene test "walk the line". Most of use play some sort of instrument which we had been doing. I looked over the wall and just couldn't resist, so the fife, guitar and myself on the concertina started a very loud version of "What do you do with a drunken sailor" and the whole group joined in on vocals.
About a hour are so later the PA. water patrol with lights on comes back to the pier. This time they come up the stairs to where we're sitting, I'm thinking the worst. One asked " Okay whose the fife player" he rather sheepishly raises his hand. Both officers start laughing and told us that was the best evening they had ever had when on duty. They said it was all they could do to keep straight faces when doing the on scene test.
They asked us to play the song again thanked us and of they went.

Ok here's a picture of the two pirogues and that's all the story telling for today because this will take days and days to complete.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 59
Howdy from the great state of Texas and welcome to the forum.

My mom was born and raised in Milan, Mo, in the north east part of the state. A coal fired cook stove for meals, coal fired stoves for heat. No running water, just had a hand pump in the kitchen. A wind up telephone and electricity were the only comforts.

My mom was born and raised in Milan, Mo, in the north east part of the state. A coal fired cook stove for meals, coal fired stoves for heat. No running water, just had a hand pump in the kitchen. A wind up telephone and electricity were the only comforts.
I know where Milan is a friend of mine has 160 areas up there that I've hunted on a few times it gets really cold up there in northern Mo.

My family used to fish the Gasconade with one of those old crank telephones. Forty years ago one of my old distant cousins ( I'm related to everyone in that county by blood, marriage, or both) told me of a 102# flathead they caught way back in the 30's. I was skeptical because the state record was 98#. He brought out an old frayed yellow picture. That cat was as long as he was tall. I had no words. Dude laughed and said it was a toll call. Must have been somethin' growin' up in here in Missouri back then. We're missin' somethin' now. That really was our greatest generation.

Sorry, I'm lost...its in the north-WEST part of MO. OOPS!

Hey there from Holder Hill on the Saline-Cooper county line. In the Boonslick region like FiremanBrad, just a bit north west of his neck of the woods.
mholder

Welcome to the Forum from another member living in Missouri. I sure do miss the Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres. Hope I get all my vaccine shots and the state allows the Trade Faire. If possible, I'll be there. We will need to look each other up.

Welcome to the Forum from another member living in Missouri. I sure do miss the Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres. Hope I get all my vaccine shots and the state allows the Trade Faire. If possible, I'll be there. We will need to look each other up.
I email Jason Duensing a few days ago he's the organizer for the event.
He told me if all goes well he would send me a application when the time comes.
If and when I receive it I'll PM you and let you know when I'll be there.
I like shooting at Fort de Chartres and won 1st place at the woods walk a few years ago.

Back