• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greenhorn wants to build...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbstudio

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, i have handled a drill long enough to know that it aint made for fix'n window glass. Beyond that its all in the air. I am looking for some advice on getting started with building my first muzzle loader. I have seen a few kits and such but would like some input from folks on what would be a good First Attempt route to take. I do know i would like it to be a cap and ball, smooth bore. Beyond that(and that is saying more than i truly know LOL)i am looking for input. Any suggestions? :confused:

Build a kit, go shoot it with other muzzleloader fans, see and hopefully shoot some others, enjoy the learning curve.

As soon as you said smoothbore, you put yourself into a rather narrow nitch.

Normally for a first build, I would suggest a Lyman or a Traditions gun, but they are all rifled.
That leaves Chambers, TVM, Pecatonica River and a few of Track of the Wolfs guns.

These are all on the much more difficult level unless you pay them to do most of the work for you. That, of course, costs some real money.

Look them over and let us know what your thinking. :)
Zonie :)

Well, i am not married to the idea of a smoothbore, its the only type i have actually used in the past, so long ago its not worth much in the way of experiance :winking: Ok, now what about the rifled kits makes them easier to build?

Sounds like good advice, and some that i hope to follow! Any suggestions on groups in the Bay Area? I am in Sonoma County.

Irishjon said:
Well, i am not married to the idea of a smoothbore, its the only type i have actually used in the past, so long ago its not worth much in the way of experiance :winking: Ok, now what about the rifled kits makes them easier to build?

I am sure Zonie means that they are less "completed" meaning you must do more work on them to get them finished. The others are more finished and so less work is involved in getting them to the shootin stage! :thumbsup:

Davy

Roundball will probably agree with me on this but T/C kits are great for first time builders. They are easy, and when you get done you will have a gun that will last you for your life if you take care of it. You can change the barrels and locks with no problems. Many people have talked about their life time warranty and how great service dept has treated them. You could build a T/C rifle kit and get a GM smoothbore barrel and have two guns and then if you decide that you wanted to go flint then get a lock and flint barrel and now you have three guns.
If you build a smoothbore, as others had said, you will be limited in choices and the difficulty goes up. :v

As others have said, the TC, Lyman, Traditions, etc are a more finished product. All holes are drilled, butt plates are cut, to just name a couple of things. The Lyman does have a lot of extra wood, but that just gives you a little more practice.

The "kits" from Pec, TOTW, Chambers, have a lot more that needs to be done. One builder on this forum once said that these are not so much kits and a parts package. Some of them the wood is said to be 95% finished etc but may still need the entire forarm shaped. They still need more work than the mass produced kits.

The most important criteria in choosing a gun kit is what you plan to use it for. Winding up with a big bore rifle because it is easier to build when hunting birds or squirrels is your main goal isn't a good idea. The only percussion smooth bore kits that I can recall seeing are double barrel shotguns. Dixie carries them in 10, 12 and 20 gauge. No matter what you choose, have fun assembling it. Building your own gun is one of the most satisfying things you can do.

Thank you, this helps. I have been viewing a few online catalogs, i will let the forum know how things go... :haha:

Latest posts

Back