• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green River Buffalo Skinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This was my first attempt at knife making. I wanted to make something as a door prize for the Garden State Black Powder Association's Christmas party, so I decided to try my hand at a Green River Buffalo Skinner kit.

The blade was aged with bleach and vinegar. The scales are black walnut. Tomorrow I'm going to rub in a couple coats of Permalyn to seal the scales and then sharpen it up. If I have time before the party next weekend I'll make a sheath for it. If not, I'll leave that up to the winner (or I can make one afterwards).

I learned a lot building this kit, but the most important lesson was that a Dremel cutoff wheel at 30,000 rpms is a pretty efficient tool for cutting human flesh. I gave myself a nice cut on the tip of my finger when I slipped.

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

That is a great reason to do the work with hand non-power tools! ____ That way you get a GOOD feel for your project, instead of a bad one!

If you want to make a unique sheath, some Indian tribes made a very wide sheath and then sewed an interior pocket in front of the handle and this pocket held a small whettstone. The curved blade then fit around the pocket. Use rawhide (dog chew toy will work)for a liner that is covered with braintan (suede on a first project is okay). Add two thongs in back to tie to belt.

probably my favorite style now and man you can sharpen those puppies! Very nice! I should try makin one~ Alas i am no craftsman :(

DSC06122.jpg

The pins are actually cutler's rivets, so they're holding the scales on, but I also used some epoxy to keep them from loosening up as the wood expands and contracts.

Cutler's rivets will look like pins. There are 2 pieces - 1 male and 1 female, and both have flat heads, similar to nails.

The holes are countersunk to accommodate the heads. The male piece is pressed into the female piece, expanding it to hold the scales in place.

Back