• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mt. Barrel Recall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got a notice that GMB co is re-calling percussion barrels ser#030672-031352
nipple thread problem.
Nit Wit

Your saying this is a brand new recall?

I ask because Green Mountain had a muzzleloading drop in barrel recall back in 2004 that was due to nipple thread problems.

From The Green Mountain site:

Notice to Owners of our Black Powder "Drop-In" Barrels: There is a possibility that the nipple on your rifle is defective. Metric threaded nipples were inadvertently installed in some barrels instead of the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipples. The serial number range in question if for percussion barrels # 030672 - 031352. Do not fire this rifle. Please contact us at 603-447-1095 x18 or [email protected] to arrange return shipping. The barrels will be inspected and if found compliant returned. If they are discrepant the breach plugs will need to be replaced so bear with us as this may take a while to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be a new recall as I see a similar recall for barrels in the 26000-27000 range.

I have no idea how many barrels GM made before they quit producing them a while back.

For those not familiar with the first recall, they had used taps to thread the nipple hole that produced threads which did not meet the thread's specifications.

Their first solution to this was to redrill the defective hole and then install a Heli-coil thread insert.

This went over like a dog dropping in the punch bowl with many shooters so they backtracked and machined and installed new breech plugs.

Anyway, I find it interesting that they would just now issue a recall. They quit producing these drop in barrels at least a year ago.
In fact, they haven't produced any muzzleloading barrel for over a year.

Very curious. :confused: :hmm: :confused:

Okie Hog said:
From The Green Mountain site:

Notice to Owners of our Black Powder "Drop-In" Barrels: There is a possibility that the nipple on your rifle is defective. Metric threaded nipples were inadvertently installed in some barrels instead of the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipples. The serial number range in question if for percussion barrels # 030672 - 031352. Do not fire this rifle. Please contact us at 603-447-1095 x18 or [email protected] to arrange return shipping. The barrels will be inspected and if found compliant returned. If they are discrepant the breach plugs will need to be replaced so bear with us as this may take a while to complete. We apologize for the inconvenience.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/[/quote]

The simple and much quicker solution to this would be to simply install the correct metric threaded nipple.
They are commonly available as they are the ones used on all Lyman or Invest Arm.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Last edited by a moderator:
This "thread" is confusing two different recalls: The recall due to incorrect nipples being installed is an old one that's been in place for several years now. It's still posted on the Green Mountain website, but it's been there for years.

The other recall does not specify the reason for the recall, it only calls it a "precautionary" recall. It also appears that based on the serial numbers affected, the recalled barrels are older production (based on serial numbers that are lower than the barrels affected by the nipple thread problem).

Regards,
Mike

[This is the new recall:

This situation is dangerous because 6-1mm metric nipple could depart at high speed the first time the rifle is fired.

Zonie covered the first recall very well.

When they say drop in barrels, am I correct that these are replacement barrels for TC models and such. I recently purchased a TC Renegade with a GM barrel, will arrive this weekend, guess I better check the serial.
Now I have another rifle with a 38" 45 cal barrel made by GM, are these part of the recall. Takes more time to pull barrel as it is pinned and the tang is really a tight fit, have to remove lock and tap it upwards to get it out.

The reason the situation is dangerous is that if they planned on installing a 1/4-28 nipple they would have drilled a .213 hole to tap to that size. If they inadvertently tapped it to 6-1.0 mm
it requires a tap hole of .200 so the threads would have a far less hold if a 6mm nipple was installed.

hawkeye2 said:
The wording sounds like they screwed metric nipples into USCS threads which would damage the breech plug threads.

Using the metric nipples would only apply to the older recall that had the wrong threads installed, not to the later recall with damaged threads.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Using the metric nipples would only apply to the older recall that had the wrong threads installed, not to the later recall with damaged threads.

The new recall pertains to barrels with 1/4-28 nipple threads that had metric nipples installed by mistake at the factory. From the GM website:

There is a possibility that the nipple on your rifle is defective. Metric threaded nipples were inadvertently installed in some barrels instead of the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipples.

If they say metric nipples were installed I can understand their concern.

The nearest standard metric nipples threads would be quite a bit undersize and could blow out.

I don't understand why they would be issuing a "recall" though.

Just a good warning saying "If you have a Green Mountain Barrel, serial number XXXXX to YYYYY, send us your name, address and the serial number of your barrel and we will send you a new, correctly sized nipple.
Do NOT shoot your gun until you have replaced the nipple with the proper 1/4-28 threaded nipple." would be enough and save a lot of postage.

But if they screwed a metric nipple into a 1/4x28 threaded hole,(forcing it with a power tool), wouldn't that bugger the tapped hole?
Then they'd have a case of damaged threads that's their fault and it's a set-up for the lawyers,,

Back