• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLWorden

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a green mountain barrel 50 caliber 36 inches long a 1-70 twist. Wood it hurt to cut the accuracy if you cut the barrel down to 28 or 29 inches so it wont be so front barrel heavey any information whether to cut or not. Thank You

Sell the barrel as is and buy want you, do not ruin a good barrel that is no longer made.

Richard Eames said:
Sell the barrel as is and buy want you, do not ruin a good barrel that is no longer made.

Absolutely right! There are plenty of other barrels available in shorter lengths.

Won't hurt accuracy at all so long as you get the crown square. Cut it and be happy.

I have three GM IBS barrels and prefer the extra length myself.

I just got a green mountain barrel (45 cal- 13/16 - 42 inches long) direct from Green Mountain Friday. :idunno: :idunno: So they are definately still making them!

My mistake, I assumed, wrong assumption, he was referring to a T.C drop in barrel.

Did not read enough, still against cutting a barrel already made.

Wood it hurt to cut the accuracy if you cut the barrel down to 28 or 29 inches so it wont be so front barrel heavey any information whether to cut or not. Thank You

Is this a barrel already fitted to a rifle? Is it a raw barrel waiting for an application?

At 36" it is probably not an IBS drop in. Don't think any of them were over 32" unless custom made.

I have cut several barrels and also crowned them. It is a pretty simple project. If you get ahold of Dixons building book it gives forthright instructions on how to do it. My finished crowns were far superior to GM factory crowns and I'm just a duffer of a smith.

If its a drop-in, sell it, you'll have lots of buyers. If it isn't...ehhhhh, I kinda cringe at messing with something that works as it should. I had a TC re-bored from .50 to .54, and as well as it shoots, I still regret it.

The barrel in a stock one reason I would like to cut it down is where they cut the dove tail it hard to keep the sight in and another looks like they had the end of the barrel in a vise or something and the barrel all marked up. I have a friend who can cut a new dove tail I just don't like the end of the barrel all ruffed up just like to make it look better. It wasn't a drop in barrel it was put in this stock.

Have someone make you a sight with a bigger base and then polish out the vice marks and refinish the barrel. Or sell it and buy what you want.

At the end of the day it's your barrel and your choice. I'm sure that the barrel can be cut and crowned and your accuracy could be fine. I personally enjoy that my rifle hangs on target with some weight up front. Thus I shoot more accurately that way. If it were me, I would fix the barrel you have and love it. I have several GM barrels and enjoy the tiny groups that they shoot offhand! Greg. :)

I would not hesitate to cut it for one minute. It will solve the issues with the scared up sides and the loose dovetail and it will help the handling of the rifle.

YUP - that's what I would do also -- it's mine and I would fit it to me. Everyone has there own opinion and that's good for them. You do as you feel what is right for you. As far as cost a hacksaw and a file is a lot cheaper than a barrel and recutting all the sights & attachment points. My two cents do with this advise as you wish - :v :thumbsup: .

You're going to give up quite a bit of velocity knocking 8" off the barrel. You also will give up about 18 gr. FFg burning efficiency (63 gr. vs. 81 gr.).

Most folks tend to find their most accurate loads to be right around 1.3-1.5x bore diameter. Also, a 1:70 twist is pretty slow. Most 50 cal RB barrels are 1:66. Not a big difference, but still a difference. In general, the shorter your barrel the faster the twist. That's a big part of the reason ML'ing pistol barrels have faster twists than rifles in the same caliber. Just so they can get enough rpm's on the ball to stabilize it.

The balance point of the rifle is going to change too. I for one wouldn't want the rear sight to be under my hand. When I build a gun I want the rear sight just behind where my hand will be when carrying the gun 1-handed.

BULL...cut that barrel and make it the way you want. Then it will be your own custom gun. Easy to say for me i have a lathe and mill....lol :v

It won't hurt accuracy if it is cut right. Will still require re browning or re bluing. IMO easier and less trouble to shim the sight with brass shim stock or get another and file it to fit the dove tail then smooth the vise marks and still re brown or re blue.
TC

tiny513 said:
I have a green mountain barrel 50 caliber 36 inches long a 1-70 twist. Wood it hurt to cut the accuracy if you cut the barrel down to 28 or 29 inches so it wont be so front barrel heavey any information whether to cut or not. Thank You

No, it won’t hurt accuracy at all if done right.

A longer distance from the front sight to the rear sight is easier to aim but not more accurate

William Alexander

Back