• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellonhead

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Can someone give me an idea of the value of a new in the box Green Mountain drop in barrel for a 15/16” TC Hawken in 54 caliber with a 1-66 twist? Thanks.

I had a 54 cal brl was good but subsequently shot' slick' or seemingly so . looks perfect but was a' second'. I was told they never sold a 'second' but dealer was clear on that , he knew Mr Meanly . The dealers dead so its not telling tales out of school .I don't remotely doubt the GM company 's capability or integrity The failing ime sure is entirely mine .
Rudyard

Thanks. Local guy wants $500 for one and I thought that sounded kinda high.
Yeah, I think my last one cost about $245.00 with shipping but there is none better than with the exception of perhaps Ron Smith of BC in Canada ( and all I ever use for both black powder cartridge and muzzle loading) on the market and they are actually made of barrel certified (1134) steel not screw stock steel 12L14.
I have found that I usually need to hand lap the sharpness off the land corners or be prepared to shoot a hundred rounds or so before they stop cutting patches.
I always check them for bore diameter consistency with plug gauges and have yet to find one that is much out of being level.
Run out is usually pretty good about the same as any other well made barrel make and should always be orientated in the vertical plane but the quality and strength is there in GM Barrels.

Forget about the price... good luck finding one. If you have a line on one then you are way ahead of the game.
I would like one in flintolock. I have one on a Renegade but the 32", big 1" . barrel is pretty heavy.

I can get a 15/16 . In .40 cal for 200.00 bucks , never thought I would use it . So is it worth getting just to have and maybe try plinking with . At that price??. My buddy said it was for match shooting.

I can get a 15/16 . In .40 cal for 200.00 bucks , never thought I would use it . So is it worth getting just to have and maybe try plinking with . At that price??. My buddy said it was for match shooting.
As long as the bore is in good shape, that’s a real good deal. I had GM in my hands recently that someone picked up on eBay that had a sewer pipe bore that will require a relining or a rebore, figuring $200 just to make it useful. The owner is already in to it for more than it would be worth as NOS. I gave the guy Mr Hoyt’s contact info and he is pretty upset. He could have a new Rice drop in barrel and have a second one more than half paid off for what it’s going to cost him for his GM barrel.

Here are a couple of borescope photographs I took of the bore. The barrel was described as ‘should be a good shooter’.
1708028401436.jpeg

1708028469138.jpeg

Back when they made them in 28" length I got a .40 for a Renegade and spent many a happily entertained afternoon experimenting to see if it could be tricked into accuracy with paper patched and lubed lead bullets.
😊

As long as the bore is in good shape, that’s a real good deal. I had GM in my hands recently that someone picked up on eBay that had a sewer pipe bore that will require a relining or a rebore, figuring $200 just to make it useful. The owner is already in to it for more than it would be worth as NOS. I gave the guy Mr Hoyt’s contact info and he is pretty upset. He could have a new Rice drop in barrel and have a second one more than half paid off for what it’s going to cost him for his GM barrel.

Here are a couple of borescope photographs I took of the bore. The barrel was described as ‘should be a good shooter’.
View attachment 295192
View attachment 295193
It's brand new . Or was when hung from the rack it's definitely sat there for years. I'm thinking tax return. I'll pick it up with what I am hearing it'll at least be fun

Latest posts

Back