• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease Hole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobowonkanobe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hoping this is the right location for this, but I just watched the most recent Ep in which he made a wee flinter for his son to eventually shoot. In the process of making it, he installed a "Grease hole" or lube hole.
Is this strictly a regional and or era based thing?
I ask because I had never come across it before but the concept made a ton of sense once I settled in to the idea

I realized I had inadvertently omitted something, the grease hole was in the side of the stock, in front of the patch box

Dunno the history or bonifieds of it, but I briefly owned a rifle with one. Got rid of it pretty quick, because in my terrain the grease ended up collecting all kinds of brush, dirt, leaves, sticks and rocks I didn't want to send down the bore. Basically had to change the grease out after every hunt, and got really really sick of it.

Bud that bought it from me reports the same thing, but is willing to live with the crud because he likes the ease of use. Certainly there's a functional side to having one.

While I never experienced the problems that Brownbear had, primarily because when I had such a rifle I chose not to use the grease hole, I understand what he says and completely agree with him. When I had that rifle, it seemed to me that putting grease in that hole would end up being a mess so I never used it. Having said that, I have depleted all of my information on the grease hole.

I have a gun with a grease hole and have no issues with dirt or debris....it really depends on the type of grease you use.
I really like mine.....and never considered both a grease hole and a patch box. :hmm:

colorado clyde said:
...it really depends on the type of grease you use.

And how much you're out in the bushes and rough country.

Dandy for casual walks and range popping, but totally impractical with any grease for hunters in the rough stuff.

My flintlock has a grease-hole, but I don't use it. I've contemplated trying to install a wee circular patch-box in it. Has anyone ever put a 'cover' on their grease-hole to avoid contamination? I do have a tin of mink oil I'm planning to try out next time I'm at the range, but I wasn't planning to put any in the stock!

-GB

BrownBear said:
colorado clyde said:
...it really depends on the type of grease you use.

And how much you're out in the bushes and rough country.

Dandy for casual walks and range popping, but totally impractical with any grease for hunters in the rough stuff.
True!....But it doesn't really apply to me.....A grease hole really doesn't work that well for "range popping", because you go through too much lube.......

It's not a contest, but I'll stand by what I said...Not everything works for everyone in every situation.......... :v

I have seen them often in southern guns, some very small. Never saw one on a northern made gun

I've seen them too on Southern guns, and I've seen grease compartments inside patch boxes along with a "dry" compartment for tools and such, but I've never heard of Both being found on a gun, as the OP remarked the grease hole being in front of the patch box on the gun viewed by the OP person.

LD

BrownBear said:
And my point is, if you're getting out in the rough stuff no grease is going to work.
And my point is; .....If you haven't found a lube that works you haven't tried them all, and how a person takes care of and treats his gun in the field is the determining factor .....not the environment. The only exception to this would be an extremely dusty or sandy environment....All other debris can be easily removed when applying to the patch.
I guess grease holes aren't for everyone...and that's fine.....They also aren't and weren't installed on every gun. They were primarily used on southern squirrel rifles IMO...

It goes without saying, that a person takes the geography and intended use of the gun into consideration before installing a grease hole on a gun......I've never seen a double barrel shotgun with grease holes... :v

Like others I have always considered them something found only on rifles made in the Smoky Mountain area, or Southern Highlands. These rifles never died out- they were made from pre-1840 to today. The flintlock was likely used during these late days because the percussion caps were hard to find. These mountain people made the rifles, used local flint, and on occasion made their own black powder. The Foxfire series of books has a lot of information on this.
1. I don't know if they are pre-1840.
2. I never heard of both a patchbox and grease hole. The grease hole is used in place of a patch box.
3. I'm not sure they were used on rifles used for hunting. A lot were chunk guns fired at targets. Some rifles were huge. Under those conditions the grease probably stayed okay.

I was ponderin' the same thing; either a spring loaded trap door or even just a swivel plate to cover the grease hole

hobowonkanobe said:
I was ponderin' the same thing; either a spring loaded trap door or even just a swivel plate to cover the grease hole

No precedent for it, but if I felt compelled to keep grease on the gun, I'd just empty the patch box and smear some in there. Lots handier (and faster, if that's an issue) just to follow the clue offered in the name "patch box" and put in pre-greased patches.

Mountains out of mole hills. I checked with the buddy who bought my rifle with the useless grease gouge in the stock. He was just sure it was perfect for his needs. After a couple of weeks use he gave up on grease and filled it with blonde wood putty. Looks like grease, but doesn't collect a speck of dirt or trash. His gun and he's happy.

My GF said that a greasehole was a sign of a "poor fellow's rifle" & an owner "who couldn't afford a rifle with a patchbox".
(All of his rifles had small round or "banana" patchboxes.)

Fwiw, I've looked at many "country rifles" & have never seen a rifle with a patchbox AND a greasehole.

yours, satx

BrownBear said:
No precedent for it, but if I felt compelled to keep grease on the gun, I'd just empty the patch box and smear some in there.
I have a couple of references which seem to indicate grease was kept in the patchbox.

Isaac Weld, 1795-97:
"The best of powder is chosen for the rifle barrel gun, and after a proper proportion of it is put down the barrel, the ball is enclosed in a small bit of linen rag, well greased at the outside, and then forced down with a thick ramrod. The grease and the bits of rag, which are called patches, are carried in a little box at the butt-end of the gun."

Epaphras Hoyt, 1811"
"In the butt of the rifle there is a box for grease This must be always well replenished, that the patches may be kept suitably greased for loading with loose ball, the lock properly dressed, and every part of the rifle in complete order for service. "

Spence

Thanks Spence. It makes perfect sense, but without the historic references, sense often isn't enough. As always, you've filled the gap!

I wasn't a big fan of the grease hole in this rifle. Discovered a penny fit nicely. May not be period correct, but I like it.
90psmb.jpg
[/img]

Back