• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gray Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Sur Fin Grey Steel NS-16. It gives an even grey finish.
DC16224D-3068-4C38-AAD6-C109117B6596.jpeg
CC6C083B-86B9-4E4D-A386-47539981B24C.jpeg
E

I thought most old guns were browned?
Most old guns are brown, but they didn’t start that way. Usually they were in the white or blued. Browning as we know it as a barrel finished became popular after 1800, even then it was a number three with bluing and white still outnumbering it
Today browning looks right because old guns are brown. However this is the age.

Most old guns are brown, but they didn’t start that way. Usually they were in the white or blued. Browning as we know it as a barrel finished became popular after 1800, even then it was a number three with bluing and white still outnumbering it
Today browning looks right because old guns are brown. However this is the age.
The old muzzle loading book I once had talked about several methods of browning in order to save the gun in the long run then heated & coated with bees wax. I did that to my original Lyman 50 cal it's held up better than anything else. One of the methods was to plug the barrel & bury it with I cannot remember what plants until the desired browning.

The old muzzle loading book I once had talked about several methods of browning in order to save the gun in the long run then heated & coated with bees wax. I did that to my original Lyman 50 cal it's held up better than anything else. One of the methods was to plug the barrel & bury it with I cannot remember what plants until the desired browning.
You can also plug it and wrap it in urine soaked rags, that was reported done
But I’m not wanting to try it😝

You can also plug it and wrap it in urine soaked rags, that was reported done
But I’m not wanting to try it😝
LOL now that I think of it, that was one of the methods but I think they used an animal urine...have fun collecting it.

The old muzzle loading book I once had talked about several methods of browning in order to save the gun in the long run then heated & coated with bees wax. I did that to my original Lyman 50 cal it's held up ķbetter than anything else. One of the methods was to plug the barrel & bury it with I cannot remember what plants until the desired browning.
If your going to use condiments to gray steel, a good mayonnaise has almost twice the acid as mustard. If using mayonnaise, Duke's is the best and has a better flavor than Hellman's. :thumb:
Sorry. I'm Catholic. Can't use condiments...

Back