• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gravely and Wreaks Bowies...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdwatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Coffin handled Bowie knives without guards were being made in Arkansas by the early 1830's, this style often known as the Tahchee or "Cherokee" Bowie as a notable Cherokee of that name was painted while wearing one in 1837...
http://www.antiquebowies.com/antiqueBowies/historic/tahchee/tahchee.htm
http://www.antiquebowies.com/antiqueBowies/earlySheffield/Graveley/graveleyAndWreaks.htm

tahchee_zpsf94989a6.png

...at least one of these apparently making its way to England such that, by 1836 two men (Englishmen?) in New York City, John Gravely and Charles Wreaks were importing "Bowie knives" "in a great variety", including this one....

GampW_zps74535e2e.png

More from the second link above, note how quickly the market ws flooded and/or the Bowie fad ended....

From 1836 to 1838 the importer, John Graveley, lived at Number 1 Park Place, one street North of Barclay. In 1833, Charles Wreaks sold goods as a Merchant at 82 William Street. In 1834 and 1835, Charles became an importer at 7 Platt Street. John Graveley came to New York in 1835 or 1836. John and Charles established a partnership in 1836 and disappear from the New York City Directory in 1839. If they were Englishmen, they may have returned to England.

The Bank panic of 1837 and 1838 caused many a business to fold. By 1838 the deadly use of the Bowie knife in murders and duels by ruffians and gentlemen caused a popular revulsion and legal furor. In 1838 the state of Tennessee passed an act to suppress or ban the sale and deadly use of Bowie-Knives and Arkansas Tooth-Picks. The Alabama and Mississippi Laws passed in 1837-1838 were not as strict as in Tennessee. These Laws curtailed the advertising and sales of the Bowie knife, Arkansas Toothpick and Dirks in the United States. The sales of Bowie knives continued in the frontier states of Arkansas, Louisiana and the Republic of Texas. With the arrival of Samuel Colt's multi-shot revolver, the Bowie knife lost its roll as a backup defensive weapon. A Bowie knife valued at $20 in 1837 sold for $1.50 in 1838.

I'm arriving at a conclusion that those knives meant primarily as weapons rather than utilitarian tools tended to be purposefully decorated, certainly a leap in heft and decoration from your average trade knife.

Note that at least some of these Bowies went West with the fur trade, and another name associated with the design of these knives; August Pierre Chouteau....

It is more likely that the primary purchaser of G&W’s knives was John Jacob Astor and the Bowie knife designs were provided by Auguste Pierre Chouteau. G&W were tenants of Astor in the Astor House. Astor, the Fur Titan, provided A P Chouteau with Indian Trade Goods. Chouteau owned a Trading Post at the three Forks of the Arkansas River above Fort Gibson in Oklahoma. These goods were transported from St Louis via the Missouri and Osage Rivers and by pack trains and Wagons. Steamboats on the Arkansas River also delivered goods to the trading post located near present day Chouteau Oklahoma.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
How so?You could sure do some slicin' and dicin' with that baby in the kitchen.

Interesting post Birdwatcher. :thumbsup:

a knifes usage depends on what you have in hand, any knife can be used in anyway if you are familier with it, if all you have is a small knife then you will get used to that, if all you have is a large knife the same happens, folks did not have drawers full of multiple knives used specificly for this or that but used what they had or could afford for pretty much everything, I have used small knives to skin out n gut a deer and other times used large knives to skin out n gut a squirrel, both worked well after I adjusted to the tool. Remember folks back when did not in any way have the options we have today and had to make do with what they had. If they could afford several sure they probably purchased them but if not, well if ya want to eat ya used what ya had n made do

I believe the real difference lies in the primary purpose for which the knife is purchased. After all folks had been killing each other for decades when the need arose with plain 'ol cheap trade knives, these knives, even in the hands of warriors, mostly used for everyday mundane chores.

By the 1820's-'30's seems like there was a demand, especially across the South, for more ornate, expensive knives intended specifically for combat.

Recall that Jim Bowie's knife did not become a cult object because he used it to slice tomatoes or skin squirrels, it was given to him by his brother specifically to use in case he was attacked again by rivals.

In the height of the fashion, these things were selling for several times what a normal knife cost.

Could you use them for every, mundane chores? Absolutely, but did they? Not so much I'd guess.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

Don't even THINK that this is a Bowie.... :grin:

Turns out its a "buffalo knife".....

http://www.canadashistory.ca/Magazine/Trading-Post/Trading-Post-List/Articles/Spectacular-Knife

jukescoulson_zps3c2ec7ac.jpg

This Hudson’s Bay Company trade item was popular with hunters of western Canada during the last half of the nineteenth century. Often called a buffalo knife or chief’s knife, it was described as “extremely heavy”¦ a sort of butcher’s cleaver with a point instead of squared-off end.”

Carl P. Russel, in his excellent "Firearms, Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men" (1966) includes a drawing of one by that same maker in the U.S. National Museum identified as a "Hudson's Bay Knife", also sold in the U.S.

Birdwatcher

While I agree that any blade will do in a pinch, (I've even heard of a guy field dressing a road killed deer with only a sharp camp ax he had in his trunk) I believe that the proper tool is always going to make the job easier. Bowie knives, toothpicks, dirks, and such were intended for combat originally, where as less aggressive blades were designed for more mundane tasks. I fully admit I ain't no expert or anything, but if a persons occupation, such as a buffalo hunter, depended on the right tools, it makes sense to me that they would have an appropriate blade on hand. on the same token, if you were buying a blade to use in self defense, well, as I see it, the bigger the better. IMHO :2

A Gravely and Wreaks Bowie knife showed up on Antique Roadshow last night. It was appraised at $20,000.

It had the Arkansas Toothpick engraving on it.

wb

This is a topic of interest to me. I don't think many of the fur companies bought bowie knives for the trade. The Canadian/Buffalo knife- that may be more of an HBC item than anything else. I've always liked the Coffin Handle Bowie but I was under the impression they weren't very common. Sure would appreciate any further palaver on this one.

The camp or buffalo knife is a HBC trade item. The one I own was copied from one in a fur trade museum in Wyoming or Montana, don't remember which.

Wb

Pete,

I took delivery of one upo about a month ago. The "INDIA" stamp on the blade detracts from it somewhat :grin:

Other than that, seems a fairly faithful repro, IME Crazy Crow's Indian-made knives are distressingly shiny when new, but do aquire a surface patina readily from use.

Birdwatcher

A real Indian knife, huh ? :doh:

Thanks for the feedback/heads-up. :bow:

Maybe the "India" stamp can somehow be reworked / hidden. :stir:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any large Bowie knife. or even just a large knife, was called an Arkansas toothpick in the 19th c., due to the belief that the Bowie knife originated there at Blacks forge in Washington Arkansas. The term today has been bastardized to describe daggers. Probably after the "IRON MISTRESS" movie debuted in which Bowies major opponent, Bloody Jack Sturdevant, used a large dagger in their big knife fight.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Any large Bowie knife. or even just a large knife, was called an Arkansas toothpick in the 19th c., due to the belief that the Bowie knife originated there at Blacks forge in Washington Arkansas. The term today has been bastardized to describe daggers. Probably after the "IRON MISTRESS" movie debuted in which Bowies major opponent, Bloody Jack Sturdevant, used a large dagger in their big knife fight.

Thanks Wick you save me some typing - it's also due in part to Raymond Tharpe the author...

as for Bowies not having clip points - plenty of originals say otherwise along with all types of blades as Wick note the Ak Toothpick as a dagger is mostly a 20th Century notion, and not a period one - just two 19th Century Arkansas Toothpicks, which along with other 19the Century terms that denoted over sized knives in a somewhat sarcastic/humourous tone....
aktoothpicks-001.jpg

Latest posts

Back