• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandpa's Old Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithen

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Alright lets see if third times the charm, My last three posts disapeared and im not sure if they were deleted or what. I'm afraid I had misworded them and it might have been misconstrued as me trying to do something I wasnt so if I was I apologize. So here is my next attempt. These were two of my grandfathers old guns that I am getting but am not sure as of what they are, and was hoping that you all could help me identify them. The first one is a smoothy and I am fairly certain that it is a 50 cal.
100MEDIA_IMAG0100.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0101.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0102.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0103.jpg

Its a little hard to see but the inlay says RB.
100MEDIA_IMAG0104.jpg

The second one is a personal favorite of mine. It is a double barrel. From what I know about it my great grandfather used it to get second place in the national target shooting competition in 1969. One thing I find interesting is that the left barrel is a smoothy while the right one is rifled.
100MEDIA_IMAG0107.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0108.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0109.jpg

Any help would be great and thank you in advance for any help that I recieve. If I have done something wrong in this post again would someone please let me know so that I may fix the problem.

Thanks,
Tyler

The most help I can give is that the double is quite possibly what is called a drilling. In my youth I lived in Germany and my dad was interested in them, and almost bought one.
Then again maybe a drilling has three barrels. Gettin' old.
But it is beautiful, and has the lines of a German made arm.

Mike Brines said:
The most help I can give is that the double is quite possibly what is called a drilling. In my youth I lived in Germany and my dad was interested in them, and almost bought one.
Then again maybe a drilling has three barrels. Gettin' old.
But it is beautiful, and has the lines of a German made arm.

Sir - Re: Barrels and terminology -

Two barrels - side by side - same calibre = Flinte

One smooth and one rifled - side-by side = Cape Gun

Two barrels - One smooth and one rifled - superimposed = Bockbuchseflinte

Three barrels - One smooth, one large calibre and one large calibre - Drilling

Four barrels - yes, really - two smooth, one small rifled and one large rifled - Vierling

ANY Cape gun is a most unlikely candidate for any kind of competition shooting in the USA.

Just sayin'.

tac

I will look more into it. I have the paperwork and the awards that my great grandfather won at the house so I will take picture and post when I get home and figure out specificly what it was. At the moment I am sitting at school studying for finals so it will be later in the day before I am able to figure it out.

Tyler

I have a match to your single barreled gun, come out of NE Missouri. Is the barrel half octagon, half round? I can't find any markings on mine, but what you have on the back action is very faint on mine. I guess it is a single barrel shotgun? Let me know if ya find out anything else!

Rick

Back