• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grains per Pound?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many grains of FFFg are in a 1 pound can of Goex? I am trying to figure out if I use a 80 gr charge in my .54, how many shots I can get out of a 1 lb. can. Also, does blackpowder ever go bad? What is the shelflife?

There are 7,000 grains in a pound.
Black powder only "goes bad" if it has gotten wet or it was stored for long periods of time at temperatures over 170 degrees F.

Short periods of temperatures over 170 degrees F won't damage it because it is a very stable "mixture" who's ingredients only interact with each other when they are ignited.

bowbender68 said:
Can anyone tell me how many grains of FFFg are in a 1 pound can of Goex? I am trying to figure out if I use a 80 gr charge in my .54, how many shots I can get out of a 1 lb. can. Also, does blackpowder ever go bad? What is the shelflife?

87 shots, give or take.
:v

Latest posts

Back