• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR nosecap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwbsmokey

54 Cal
Reaction score
I have a GPR with the blued factoy finished nosecap. I like the look of the pewter or German silver nosecaps that the original Hawkens had. Is there any way to get that look? I've thought maybe satin nickel plating, but I'm not sure that will give me the look I want. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you can find a shop that can nickle plate it then why not?
That's a lot easier than trying to cast a nosecap and they should be able to etch the surface to give you just what you want.

Be sure to tell them what you want the finish to look like before they start or you will end up with something that looks (as General G. Patton said) "Like it was owned by a pimp from a New Orleans Whorehouse."

::

On my GPR kit I just finished I put a coat of naval jelly on the nose cap for 30 minutes or so and polished it a little with a flannel rag. Gave it a nice pewter look. The naval jelly will dissolve the factory bluing on your GPR nose cap easily and you might just like the looks of it with just the bluing removed.

You can also immerse the nosecap in a can of boiling bleach (done outside with wind to your back!) for no more than a couple of minutes. Keep an eye on things and make sure you have a wire fastened to it to allow you to pull it out of the liquid frequently to chek progress. Will give you a pewter-like finish while providing a bit of surface etching to the metal. However, you can also go the naval jelly route as it's safer, but I like the results of the bleach technique better. Just my 2 cents.

Back