• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey gents, I have 54 cal GPR 1-66 twist I believe, was wondering is there another barrel that will drop in with a faster twist, say 1 in 18 for conicals or minnies ?, if so, how far and accurate would that setup be ?

You can buy the GPH barrel with the fast twist for bullets. I got one for mine. I got it from Mid-south at a good price. It shoots 380 grain R E A Ls good. But with that 380 grain bullet and 90 grains of goex 3f that thing kicks pretty dang good.
Old Charlie

Track has a drop in that they will fix to fit the GPR. No .36, but they do offer a .32 and a .40. I have a .40 and it shoots very well.
Bimbo

Hmmmm...sounds really nice....a .32 GPR
I will check that out.....I wonder what they charge to do the alterations?
*****WV SCROUNGER ***

I just sent TOTW an email concerning a .32 barrel for the GPR Flinter....Basic price of the barrel is $89
not bad!!! I wonder what the alterations will cost??
anybody know???

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Well, I got the quote from Track of the Wolf for a drop in .32 barrel for a GPR. It seems they can do the alterations only for a percussion using stock barrels for $75 + the cost of the barrel $89 = $165.
But to do up a barrel for a.32 FLINTER requires the whole thing to be made from scratch.ote: 1 GMT-32-C-36 $89.95
$89.95
Green Mountian 32 cailber x 15/16 x 36 1-48 twist - existing
supply to be disc.
Quote: 1 LABOR-BP $25.00
$25.00
special order: install breech plug per customer order
Quote: 2 LABOR-DS $15.00
$30.00
special order: mill dovetail slot, hand fit part, per customer
order
Quote: 4 LABOR-DT $15.00
$60.00
Drill & tap/hole
Quote: 2 LABOR-RP $15.00
$30.00
Solder pipe to rib
Quote: 1 LABOR-TH $65.00
$65.00
Install Drum or THL
Quote: 2 LABOR-UL $15.00
$30.00
Install lug staple or mill dovetail slot for underlug
Quote: 1 MISC $75.00 $75.00
Draw file plug and fit to tang
Quote: 1 PLUG-TCF-15-5 $24.50
$24.50
Plug, 15/16 flint 5/8
Quote: 1 RIB-TR-15 $16.00
$16.00
Rib for 15/16" octagon, drawn steel 24"
Quote: 2 RP-TC-RH-5-I $3.25
$6.50
Rod pipe, plain iron
Quote: 1 RS-PM-1 $22.50 $22.50
Sight, rear, adjustable
Quote: 1 THL-S4S $1.99 $1.99
Vent, 1/4-28 Stainless steel
Quote: 2 UL-104-A $2.50 $5.00
underlug staple, for standard wedge key, wax cast steel

Subtotal: $485.94
Shipping Fee: $8.80
Shipping Insurance: $2.08
Order Total: $496.82

Quote Total: $496.82

So it is obvious that I wont be puttin a .32 on my flinter !
SIGH.........

WV SCROUNGER ***

Before you buy another barrel, consider trying an Improved Mini ball. You can get a Lee mold for under twenty bucks. I just dip a cold bullet in some melted bore butter/wax combination, just for a second. I have an old Ithica kit gun I put together, 32 inch barrel, 1 in 66 twist, 415gr mini, 105gr of 2F Goex. It will rag an inch and a half hole at 50 yards. I just started shooting it and have not shot at 100 yards yet. On small note, IT KICKS LIKE A MULE!

one shot-one kill

The Great Plains Hunter barrel that Old Charlie is referring to comes with a 1:32 twist (I believe), and is made specifically for shooting conicals and sabots, however, before you invest in a new barrel you should try buffalo ball-ets and Hornady PA conicals. They both shoot well out of slow twist barrels.

If you do change barrels, either a .50 cal or .54 cal barrel will fit your gun.

Do you want to sell the .54 cal roundball barrel? I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a fair price.

Ok, your standard .54 GPR weights in at approx 9 lbs. Anyone want to guess what a .32 would weight? I have to think it would push 10 lbs, easy. That's a lot of weight to carry around for a .32.

I dont want to get rid of my barrel, I was just looking to do something else, It shoots round ball great..thought I would maybe try out a fast twist barrel and other ammo for the fun of it.

No problem. I had to ask. I think your barrel is pretty versatile and there are conicals that are made for slow twist barrels. Try some of them out and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Those that I know of specifically are the two I mentioned previously and I use them in a .50 cal with a 1:66 with more than adequate accuracy for hunting.

Back