• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my new/old CVA Mountain Rifle today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a thread a couple of years ago concerning Mountain Rifle serial #'s with specific data supplied about the patch box and thimble configuration and never did really determine any usable info beyond compiling the data.

If I remember correctly no-one came up with anything under a 5 Digit Serial #.

Serial #'s by manufacturers can have alot of info beyond sequential production.
A model # specific for the gun,
The run plant,
The run line,
The Job Order for the run,
etc,,,

Thanks necchi. I guess my curiosity is getting the better of me. From all I've read thus far, the earliest MRs have the "Made in USA", and the next in line were unmarked. My MR appears to have all the features of what is considered to be the earliest guns except for the USA stamp. I'm guessing that the 77 (0077043)in my serial number is the year of manufacture, but no way to prove it at this point.

Be Wild Willy said:
I'm guessing that the 77 (0077043)in my serial number is the year of manufacture,
By that logic then the 0065XXX in my serial# means mine was made in 65?

My USA barreled MR has a lock with Spain on the inside, :idunno:
I have early Ardesa Rifles with the same lock.

They worked, thanks again Necchi. Had already read the one about catalog specs, other about serial number ranges hadn't read. I'll modify my searches and maybe pick up on a few more.

Those are about the best I've seen in a few years, maybe PM that "Walks Alone" feller, he's the one thats been logging MR data for sometime now.

yeah Thanks Necci I nevergot to read those full threads way back when we were discussin them. enjoyed reading them and seein how they played out and what we we could glean from it James

Ahhhhhhhhhh... ok, Willy!

I went to Greybeard and read your reply. I'm truly glad things went so well for you and that the new nipple fit tightly in it's threaded hole.

If you would have seen how deeply that "bad" nipple that flew off my CVA Carbine embedded itself in the side of that stable, you would have been concerned as well.

I'm glad everything turned out good.

BTW, my most accurate hunting load for my .50 caliber CVA Hunter-Hawken Carbine with a 24 inch barrel is 65 grains of FFFg Swiss with a .490 Hornady swaged patched ball. 70 grains was almost as accurate, but plenty accurate enough for deer at 75 yards or less.

Enjoy your "new" rifle and good luck on the deer hunting. :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I've got one with serial number 00009517. It is a .45 Made in USA and it has yet to be loaded to many other toys to play with. My.50 MR I built from a kit in the 70's won lots of gear and then my Son took it and is still shooting it. It is his favorite rifle.
Fox :thumbsup:

Willy it's no exaggeration to say that I've got the exact same rifle as you, with the exception of mine being in .45 instead of the big .50 or .54. I got mine for $75 from a pawn shop.

In answer to your questions. I got the rifle off one of the auction sights about 2 years ago. It was listed as a non working Hawken. The picture was poor but I noticed the 4 screw patchbox and wanting spare parts for my old MR I put in a bid as no one seemed to be interested in a non working Hawken. When it arrived it was as I had expected a MR. It was a untouched kit just put together no finish. It had the normal trigger plate to deep so the lock would not work and that was the only problem that kept it from working. It will not be used as a spare parts kit buy the time I finish with it.
Now it is a .45 Connecticut Valley Arms.Inc,blackpowder only and Made In USA and the serial 00095XX are the only marking on the barrel. The best I can measure is .450 inside the barrel and the crown widest part shows .458. The lock is marked Spain on the inside.
The only unusual thing on this rifle is the heel of the butt plate. It is not the normal rounded over like all the others I have looked at it looks like it was made this way. Now the heel has a flat tip about .550 wide this is something I have not seen before so it makes this a unique one of a kind so far. Normal CVA hardwood stock.
That just about covers it.
Fox :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back