• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my new/old CVA Mountain Rifle today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of what is to be my new roundball gun, an older MR I purchased off of GB. Well it showed up today and I'm very pleased thus far. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, ran out of light today before I could snap some.

The gun is in great shape overall, no Made in USA or Spain on the barrel, and the bore looks very nice. Only markings on the browned barrel are Connecticut Valley Arms Inc., Black Powder Only .50 cal., and the serial number 00770xx. Lock is a tiny little thing that is case colored with Spain marked inside. Stock is in great shape with a pewter forearm cap, and I believe that it's maple. Escutcheons, wedges, and 4 screw patchbox are German silver. Hex ramrod ferrules, butt plate, and trigger guard are browned like the barrel and rear sight. Ramrod looks original with both ends, that are pinned, appearing to be GS also.

The only downside is that the clean out screw on the drum is a little buggered doesn't seem to want to budge. And the nipple is a little mushroomed and feels a little funny the last 32nd of an inch when you snug it down. I'm going to replace the nipple, what is the proper size and type? Any suggestions on getting that rascally screw out?

Once I've addressed these two items it's off to the range, I can't wait. Any comments or info about my new smokepole will be greatly appreciated. :patriot:

Nipple is 6x1mm. That rascally screw? Just leave it be, yeah they're nice if they work but it's not a make or break.
4 screw patch box means it's the early model.

Most common trouble is the front of the trigger mortice. The wood there is/was cut kinda thin and with years worth of over-tightening of the tang bolt it compresses a bit letting the trigger ride too high. Then theres trouble using the set trigger.
Easily fixed by shimming up front or bedding the mortice out a bit.

Good luck with it, those things are nice rifles and most are tack drivers!!

I've done a light clean and lube of the lock already but thinkin' I'd like to take it a little further. Anybody have a good schematic of the lock in case I take it apart for a good polishing? Same goes for the trigger assembly, looks pretty cut & dry, but a pic would be nice.

I had the same issue with the clean out screw on a Lyman GPR I bought a month or 2 ago. After trying overnight soaks in WD40, Liquid wrench, and applying heat, it just would not come out. So I left it in.

I like those older guns, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good luck at the range!

A friend of mine has one of those and they are deadly accurate. He has filled the freezer with venison for a lot of years using it. I have tried to buy it, but he won't part with it for anything. Can't say as I blame him.

Pics for your viewing pleasure...

CVAMtnRifle009.jpg

CVAMtnRifle008.jpg

CVAMtnRifle007.jpg

CVAMtnRifle006.jpg

Is this crown like your USA or Spain model?

CVAMtnRifle003.jpg

wwwwwooooooowww!!! That sucker is a very very early model with those square ramrod thimbles! Beautiful rifle! I'll give you $20 over the price you paid and we call it good :rotf:

Interesting point you brought up about the crown, I don't remember us talking that point about the M.R. on this forum.

I have the USA barrel and No, mine is not as deeply crowned or as wide.

Good point, I hope others can add to it.

I didn't read the other posts because I wanted to get my post written as soon as possible.

Before you shoot your "new/old" rifle, remove and replace that questionable nipple with a new nipple that SOLIDLY screws all the way down in the threaded nipple hole!!!

I say this because I had a similar situation with an older .50 caliber CVA Hawken I bought (used), but I didn't replace the nipple because it still SEEMED usable. I was shooting it, using some lighter target loads (47 grains of Swiss FFFg), at my club's rifle range when the nipple "let go" and when I fired the rifle, the nipple came flying out of it's threaded hole and, luckily, passed over my head and embedded itself in the wood of the out-building a few feet behind my shooting position.

Had it's path been a few inches lower, it would have embedded itself in my HEAD... with possibly fatal results!~!~!

'Nuff said?

Please change that nipple and make SURE it screws ALL THE WAY DOWN into it's threaded hole.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

i got one identical right down to the thimbles and patchbox but in .45 from Track of the Wolf. I could never see me without it now. Enjoy I think reputation says we got2 of the bestproduction rifles made in thier time and they don't make em any more. James

Well my prayers were answered in more ways than one.

First off, no issues with the replaced nipple at all.

Secondly, the gun is a great shooter. Shot 1"-1-1/2" groups point of aim at 50 yards consistently, even in 15-20 mph winds off a folding camp table. Would have been able to do the same at 75 yards except I would inevitably pull one shot. At this point I have only shot one loading, .490 handcast RB, 50 gr. Goex Express 3fff, .015 spit patch, and RWS primers.

Eager to shoot more combinations and better targets, some that I can post for my ever growing ego. I would say their reputation for accuracy is well deserved.

Thanks again for your input which steered me in the direction of the MR...BEWW

Very Nice early rifle. The pewter ramrod ends were only on the first couple thousand. Just sold Mine to a friend who had been drooling over it. They do shoot very well with PRB and Holy Black...Great find...

Nice looking shooter......I have one that I believe I bought new back in the 70's....wood looks like maple stained brown...ser.#00229xx..cleaned it so many times the brown is wearing off the barrel....took 6 antelope with it over the years when i was lukey enough to draw a permit.....used 90grs.blk powder.490 ball......had a lot of fun with it hunting jackrabbits with as well. May the wind be in your face when you sneek up onum! :wink:

I have a 45 still in the foam waiting for my daughter and I to put it together hopefully this winter but mine says made in usa same ramrod pipes. I like everything about it and may abandon my others when it is done. figure 45 for deer and small game.

First nice rifle I think I might have bid against you on GB sorry :redface: .

On the barrel subject I have a few photos to post.

5Barrels.jpg

From left to right, .50 CVA Spain, .50 CVA USA, .50 CVA Unmarked, .50 Deer Creek,.45 Deer Creek.
3stamps.jpg

proofmarks.jpg

I really think if a mountain rifle has a barrel from Spain it is marked Spain and proof marked.
Anyway I like them because they shoot great and look great. I see some nice, if modest, curl in the stock of your rifle. If you decide to refinsh it I suggest Aqua Fortis (nitric acid from TOW)which is a reagent that brings out the curl in maple and can make even a modest amount of curl really stand out.

The main Spring on these rifles always seams a bit weak to me and I really wish someone would make an after market main spring for the spanish maslin locks.

Best of luck with your new rifle.

Bob

Well thanks Bob for the very descriptive pics. Before I had seen what you said they were I picked the middle barrel, or one of the others to the right. Also the barrel markings are exactly the same text and size as your unmarked barrel. Maybe the rumors of some them being from Deer Creek is possible. To cloud it even more, Deer Creek has Douglas's old equipment :stir: .
Another thing I noticed recently on my gun is that the escutcheons for the lock screws are recessed, some of the others I've seen are not.
Does anyone know how CVA's serial numbers work? That is, to determine date of manufacture? Were serial numbers specific for each model from ex.1-100,000, or were all their guns in that same range?

Latest posts

Back