• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got him!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndhntr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the first year that I have gotten a bull elk muzzleloading tag for Colorado. The season started on Sat. I was able to hunt Sat. evening and got close to a herd bull (really big bull) but couldn't quite close the deal as his cows helped him escape. Sun. morning I was back at it and was able to call in a nice 6x6 and took him at about 35 yds. with my "Trappers Carbine" (a modified TC Renegade .50 cal.) This was a fun hunt. I think this bull was a satellite bull to the big one.
IMG_0022.jpg

WOW!! :hatsoff: Thats a real big bull!! HUGE Antlers! How much did he weigh ya think? Lots of meat there thats for sure!. Congrats!!

I'm guessin' he was about 700# on the hoof, givertake a few ounces. I just got all the meat in the freezer today, about a 5 hour job.

Oh, and if yer wonderin', I used a .490 patched round ball with 80 gr. Pyrodex P. The shot was through the shoulder muscle (right behind the shoulder bones) and it made it to the far hide (no exit hole). I took the shot while he was walking. I got both lungs and he made it about 100 yds. in about 30 seconds before piling up.

Nice bull, but then again, any bull taken with a .490 ball is a nice bull :wink: . Good job. :thumbsup:

Now if you had kids like me, they would be trying to talk you into turning it all into jerky. Bill

Back