• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Last tag filled with a flintlock!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live the sand hill cranes are nearly tame. They'll eat sardines or shrimp from your hand. Beautiful birds, especially when plumage at their head turns bright emerald green. I don't reckon I could shoot one; it would be like shooting a swan, or a peacock. In the mammal world there are animals I'd never shoot, like a racoon, fox, bobcat, otter, mink, beaver. I've never intentionally killed a trout although I dearly love to fish for them with a flyrod. A sea trout I will eat, even if caught on a fly. On my KILL TO EAT list are deer, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, quail, grouse, wild pigs.

Where I live the sand hill cranes are nearly tame. They'll eat sardines or shrimp from your hand. Beautiful birds, especially when plumage at their head turns bright emerald green. I don't reckon I could shoot one; it would be like shooting a swan, or a peacock.
Where I live feeding wild animals is frowned upon. People here feed the town deer by hand and they become dependent and or dangerous. I've eaten peacock as well but crane tastes better.

Where I live the sand hill cranes are nearly tame. They'll eat sardines or shrimp from your hand. Beautiful birds, especially when plumage at their head turns bright emerald green. I don't reckon I could shoot one; it would be like shooting a swan, or a peacock. In the mammal world there are animals I'd never shoot, like a racoon, fox, bobcat, otter, mink, beaver. I've never intentionally killed a trout although I dearly love to fish for them with a flyrod. A sea trout I will eat, even if caught on a fly. On my KILL TO EAT list are deer, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, quail, grouse, wild pigs.
First off congrats to the poster, now what's for dinner braised spotted owl with an appetizer of ivory billed woodpecker sounds nice, some fava beans and a nice wine.

Not their entire head, just a streak. Just saying I don't get so hungry that I'd kill one. Just me. Not judging anyone who does differently. Have a good time within your own limits, not mine.

I'm puzzled. "especially when plumage at their head turns bright emerald green". Are we really talking about sandhill cranes or perhaps some other bird?
I'm not familiar with the emerald green streak on their head either but here in Wyoming we have the greater sandhill crane which is different from the Florida sandhill crane.

I only know what I've seen, up close, within touching distance. Please don't take my observations as important because I know very little about those birds EXCEPT that I'm certain the ones I'm referring to are sandhill cranes. I know what I've stated is absolutely true. When I first moved to FL and met the graceful birds, I researched their physical attributes, migration and mating habits. That said, my knowledge is limited to what I see and what research indicates. As in most areas of personal beliefs regarding wildlife, I bow to anyone professing more knowledge. Mine is very definitely limited. It's just a one-person mindset that I could never kill one.

Where I live feeding wild animals is frowned upon. People here feed the town deer by hand and they become dependent and or dangerous. I've eaten peacock as well but crane tastes better.
Yes, that's true anywhere I guess but I've violated that concept many times. Wild turkey in my neighborhood are on that list. Corn from the feed store keeps them happy here and the springtime strutting and fanning is quite a show when it is 2 or 3 feet away. Peanuts for the squirrels and bread for the fish are further violations. I won't believe that any animal has died from dependence on human feeding because of my actions. Still, the old argument of "what if everyone did that" is applicable. All that said, I'm strictly opposed to baiting deer, a legality in some states, probably to thin herds.

Back