• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camo or Traditional for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I get a lot of Cr&^7!! for wearing traditional clothing while hunting.

My brother and I were hunting with my dad ( dad had a doe tag ) and the other morning, I spotted a form laying in the grass. The sun light made it very hard to see, but I had my video camera and zoomed in. Elk! Dude had his head behind a trees, which made it even harder to see. I got a good angle on him.

But the point... He didn't mind my outfit.

Wasn’t one of Fred Bear’s commandments that “the best camo is being still”?
When I’m spring turkey hunting I wear the best camo I have. Otherwise I wear clothes that are Earth tones. If I sit somewhere I usually wear a headnet to break my facial profile. I don’t dress in period clothes but I wouldn’t give anyone grief about it. If that makes the outdoors more fun, then I’d say go for it.

Whatever turns your crank. Some wear ghillie suits for turkeys, almost "blackface" with camo makeup, etc. Rather doubt critters care much except that studies have shown deer perceive the world in a different spectrum than humans and blue shines out to them more than hunter orange. Don't know squat about other stuff, other places. We're talking killing stuff, not recreating an historically accurate experience, correct? Different thing.

Generally, it takes two senses to spook a deer - movement, smell, hearing, and sight. Pick any two and if they don't like what's there - bye-bye. Turkeys? - they're just paranoid nutty - spook a squirrel, they'll spook turkeys sometimes.

Wearing anything except hunter orange during firearms deer season in Missouri confirms you have a death wish. "Traditional" in Ralls county is bib overalls.

I wear camo. Doubt it makes much difference but I bought it so I might as well use it. I have nothing against hunting in period gear, I just haven’t gotten around to trying yet.

Up here in AB there are no requirements. I wear camo just because I have it for waterfowl and it is comfortable. I do wear an orange vest over, orange toque on my head and if cold I have an insulated orange heavy jacket (left over from the days when it was required). I’d rather not take chances and the critters don’t care anyhow.
Walk

P1090766.JPG

I get a lot of Cr&^7!! for wearing traditional clothing while hunting.
Sorry to hear that.
Just keep it legal and it's all good, Right?
Beyond that,, who cares?

p.s. enjoy the moc's while ya can, in another 10yrs "boot's" will feel a lot better when haulin that Elk back to the road,,
just sayin,,

Whatever turns your crank. Some wear ghillie suits for turkeys, almost "blackface" with camo makeup, etc. Rather doubt critters care much except that studies have shown deer perceive the world in a different spectrum than humans and blue shines out to them more than hunter orange. Don't know squat about other stuff, other places. We're talking killing stuff, not recreating an historically accurate experience, correct? Different thing.

Generally, it takes two senses to spook a deer - movement, smell, hearing, and sight. Pick any two and if they don't like what's there - bye-bye. Turkeys? - they're just paranoid nutty - spook a squirrel, they'll spook turkeys sometimes.

Wearing anything except hunter orange during firearms deer season in Missouri confirms you have a death wish. "Traditional" in Ralls county is bib overalls.
From the day they are born, something is trying to eat them. They either become alert and aware of their surroundings or become food. Slow learners usually don't make it to hunting season.

I gave up camo years ago, I found it to be unnecessary. I wear muted colors in warm weather and drab or plaid wool when it is cold. I do have a pair of Filson camo wool pants I bought 30 years ago, that I wear occasionally. Once you buy Filson it is best to hang on to it. I paid $185 for the pants; they go for $445 now.

Here is my typical warm weather outfit, the camo Cat quiver is one I have had for many years, they don't make a non camo one so I am keeping using this one.

fortress blind hunting 002.JPG

The hat is my lucky hat, I think it has a lot of Mo-Jo.

fortress blind hunting 007.JPG

My Filson pants, I seldom wear them and prefer gray east German wool military pants that I bought from Sportsman's Guide, the cost was $27 for 3 pair, they are better made then Filson. I sold one pair and kept one to wear and a back up, 15 years down the road the first pair is going strong.
2014 7 point 001.JPG

I wear Flame orange camo. I want to survive to many idiots out there. Survival is +1 priority.

Rather look like the great pumpkin than become dead or maimed.
Doubt, even that will help with some types that never pick upa a rifle until deer season, that shoot at anything that moves. Knew a man that lost some cows, penned up by his barn with COW painted on them in orange day-glo paint.

Back