• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got Corn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your post reminds me of a couple of years ago when I asked a school chum if I could get "roasting ears" from him again & he responded, "You know, it looks like I'm raising about a 100 coons to the acre, again this year."
(The coons pull down a lot more cornstalks than they eat corn. - Tomas was 100% correct & he didn't "make a crop".)

yours, satx

Fried corn is fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob, then the cobs scraped with the edge of a butter knife & fried with butter, in a cast iron skillet, till it's soft/creamy.
(Just thinking of it makes me hungry.)

That's a NE Texas delicacy, along with Caddo Relish, Pittsburg Hot links & some other things.
(Most of our "local dishes" from my home area come straight out of Al, GA & MS.)

yours, satx

Growing up my aunt would make scalloped corn every year for Holliday dinner.. Man that stuff was goooood!..I managed to get the recipe but never did it the justice she did... :shake:

Always had a bad case of the runs at corn piking time, had to just take a cob off the stock and eat it there. Pick a few, eat a few, run to the outhouse, repeat.

Want to share her recipe??
(I'd bet that I'm not the only one who would like to have it.)

As you doubtless guessed, corn (cooked in numerous styles) is one of my favorites (along with rice).

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Want to share her recipe??
(I'd bet that I'm not the only one who would like to have it.)

As you doubtless guessed, corn (cooked in numerous styles) is one of my favorites (along with rice).

yours, satx

I'll see if I can find it.....been some years since I made it...Not sure where I put it...

P.S. I love rice....I can eat it 8 ways to breakfast. :haha:

I resemble that remark.

Also, when we picked peaches "on shares" for Dr. Johnson (when I was a shirt-tail kid), I had the same problem. :haha:

yours, satx

FWIW I've found a inepensive battery operated radio, tuned to all night talk shows, will do wonders on keeping coons and other raiders out of the corn patch. Add a 5 gallon bucket and one of those stick on AA puck lights and you have a cheap and effective night watchman.

Back