• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got another new toy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Got her in a trade and love the rifle! It came with both the .45 and a .50cal barrels. Its a cabelas Sporterized Hawken. My father has one and so i had a hard time passing it up, so i didnt :haha:

Here she poses with my new Belt bag that a member on another forum made me. Measured 7x 7 1/2"
Im glad i got the belt bag as my shoulders had been killing me when i wore my other possibles bags slung over my shoulder.
Picture046-1.jpg

Picture048-1.jpg

Target from 25 yards with 70gr Pyrodex RS and a 285gr buffalo conical. My first shot i flinched. Tomorrow i am going to sight it in with a .440 Patched round ball.
Picture044.jpg

The .45 barrel is 22 7/8" long, Any idea on the twist?

Congrats. This is a nice rifle. Hee in Germany it is from Investarm and called Investarm Hawken Hunter. The barrel is a bit shorter as a GPR barrel, but as accurate. These rifles are good Shooters. I'm wondering that you got a .45 barrel there in the USA. It is ideal for target practice.

Regards

Kirrmeister

The twist is 1 in 48''. So ideal for all kinds of bullet. Try 60 grs bp or Pyrodex with a .440 RB and a .010'' patch.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Don't know what you traded, but it looks like you made out pretty good. You can never have enough muzzle loaders :thumbsup: .

To the best of my knowledge, the short barrels have a 1-28 twist. One of my friends bought one years ago, it was the carbine model. the 32" barrel is 1-48

25 yards with the .440 round ball,
Picture-1.jpg

At 58 yards i was just shooting off my knee and leaning up against a log and did a 4" vertical group. That was easily my fault.

Kentuckywindage,
Good shooting, keep us posted as you increase your yardage, and up your charge a bit. This little rascal could have real potential :thumbsup: !!!!!!!!!!! cordell

That should be a great deer rifle with either barrel. Have you sighted-in the .50 yet? Congratulations on a great trade, glad you got rid of your "high tech" gun and found the one true way! Emery

I shot it sighted in at 58 yards with the 285gr buffalo conicals. For a 3 shot group, they were clipping eachother!

The .440 round ball load @ 58 yards did good but i believe it can do a lot better than the 4" vertical group i ended up with. I may not have been holding steady or the sight picture may have been out of wack as it was pretty late in the evening. I plan on doing more shooting today with the conicals to make sure everything is right where it needs to be.

Stubert said:
To the best of my knowledge, the short barrels have a 1-28 twist. One of my friends bought one years ago, it was the carbine model. the 32" barrel is 1-48

I also have the Cabala's InvestArms Hawken carbine. It has the short barrel and is in .54 cal. It has a 1 in 24" twist. It is really good for conicals and sabots. I busted a large doe last year with it at 45 yds.

HawkenCarbine-au.jpg

I am totally in love with this gun. She handles and shoots nicely. I will be getting another barrel for it, something in PRB and a 1 in 60" twist.

Would the GM company have something for this gun?

Latest posts

Back