• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a refund on a Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakimaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading through some of the posts on the Pedersoli Howdah pistol, I found them on sale through Cabela's for $599. Mine came in today. I went to the store to pick it up and they were kind enough to let me open the box, wipe the gun down (really,really covered with oil) and check fit and function. I didn't like the wood, there were inletting gaps on the trigger guard and tang and the grip was just slightly warped to the left. The lock on the left side actually felt gritty when cocking the hammer. Not quite what I expected for $600. Cabela's politely refunded my money. While I was there I took a look at a half dozen Pedersoli long guns and found similar defects on every one of them. Does Cabela's get seconds, have their own QC standards or is Pedersoli slipping in quality?

google track of the wolf, more money but worth it. i bought the harpers ferry pistol kit some years back from dixi im happy with it . got the richmond rifle also . next time iam getting one of track of wolfs 58cal flint rifle

I just bought a Pedersoli Blue Ridge .54 flintlock from my local Cabela's and the fit & finish is just perfect. The rifle was on sale for $480. Haven't shot it, though the lock geometry is right on and it sparks like crazy.

The display model Blue Ridge at my Cabela's in Michigan is very poorly constructed. Gapped inletting, deeply pitted brass parts and a chipped toe that was filled with dark wood putty.

Every time I feel like my homemade flinter's construction could be better I handle that gun and all concerns fade away.

:) :thumbsup: They must do because elsewhere in the world their quality is right up there .

yakimaman said:
After reading through some of the posts on the Pedersoli Howdah pistol, I found them on sale... Not quite what I expected for $600. Cabela's politely refunded my money. While I was there I took a look at a half dozen Pedersoli long guns and found similar defects on every one of them...

All seven out of seven Pedersolis you inspected were "defective"! That's totally believable because... OK, it's not at all, Yakimaman.

Alden said:
yakimaman said:
After reading through some of the posts on the Pedersoli Howdah pistol, I found them on sale... Not quite what I expected for $600. Cabela's politely refunded my money. While I was there I took a look at a half dozen Pedersoli long guns and found similar defects on every one of them...

All seven out of seven Pedersolis you inspected were "defective"! That's totally believable because... OK, it's not at all, Yakimaman.

I'll tell you what my friend, I've no axe to grind with Cabela's or Pedersoli and I resent the hell out of being called a liar in a public forum. - So ALDEN you just show up at the Cabela's in Columbus OH and I'll show you exactly what I mean. Rocky Mt Hawken, two Blue Ridge, two Enfields, and a Richmond musket. They will all shoot I'm sure, but every single one of them has cosmetic flaws that shouldn't be there in a gun priced as they are.

While I accept your analysis of the guns you looked at, I am very surprised at Cabelas displaying guns with major flaws. I have been a customer of Cabelas for almost forty years and during that time have only had issues with a few products, and all of my concerns were handled quickly. If I was in Cabelas and saw that I think - and you may have already done so - I would talk with the department manager about it and find out why they would do that. The average customer is going to look at the display piece as an example of what is in stock and act accordingly. Putting problem guns on display is going to hurt their sales, IMHO. I only own one Pedersoli gun, a Sharps rifle and it is perfect, with the exception of a minor machining error at the flared breech. The Pedersoli muzzle loaders I have had the opportunity to handle were all pistols and they were few. I do not recall any major issues with any of them but it has been awhile since I had the opportunity.

Cabelas is opening a new store in Greeville, SC in the spring, which is about 60 miles from here. I plan to be one of the first ones in the door and will certainly take a look at the muzzle loaders on display.

Wouldnt worry to much about it my friend. Some people love to stir the pot. :stir: Most everybody on this forum is very helpful and friendly. :wink:

I looked at a few pedersoli guns at Cabelas a few months back I tend to half agree. I thought the shotgun and the 12" short barreled shotgun was poorly inlet with bigger gaps then I would expect, the Rocky Mountain Hawken was nicely done, and the Enfield/Springfield/Types were fair. The Sharps looked really nice but again for the price I would dcpect better inleting.

I think with the double barrel shotguns coach guns and howdahs they are the only game in town and they at not as finely fitted as I would expect for the price

I think I posted about a month back on the shotgun board how disappointed I was with the fit and finish of the shotgun I looked at

Cabelas is what it is a chain that handles basic muzzleloaders. The big seller in revolvers isn't a Cimarron/ Uberti 1851 in 36 but a brass framed 1851 Pietta in 44. They dont push quality do much as decent functional.

Wouldn't surprise me that to make their margin on the shotgun at $799 they are paying half that or less and Pedersoli is dumping them out the door cutting corners where they can. they are trying to provide a good traditional mass produced "hand made" gun that is functional for cheap

Imagine you own a factory and are getting $400 to make a double 12 gauge muzzleloader after buying the raw materials and paying Itslian wages and benefits and make a profit? There is a reason really nice double barrels cost in the low to mid four figures and up. I know $799 seems like a lot but ask any of the custom builders here what they would charge for a similar gun, without the middleman jacking up the price, and see what you pay.

My point being they could be better but for what they are?

Back