• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a new one from Tip last week

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I took a trip to tip Curtis' place last week and a new rifle followed me home.
Curly maple stock, large Siler, 44' Colerain .50 caliber barrel, brass trimmings, and I think the triggers are Davis. I bought it in the white like the other guns I've bought from Tip.

TipCurtis.50caliberrifle012.jpg

TipCurtis.50caliberrifle002.jpg

TipCurtis.50caliberrifle005.jpg

TipCurtis.50caliberrifle014.jpg

Nice gun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What finish did you use on the stock - it has come up especially nicely - a lot like a well broken in London oil finish which I admire greatly.

Robbo

Robbo, right now it's just 2 coats of dark stain and 3 coats of boiled linseed oil.
I think it looks good right now, but I'm gonna keep adding the linseed oil every few days for a while.

Yep - looks lovely and a few more hand rubbed coats will only add to it. Terrific figure in the stock as well. What brand of stain do you use?

Robbo

Thats a beauty :thumbsup: What type of stain did you use ? It has a warm mellow glow.

Bubba45 said:
Thats a beauty :thumbsup: What type of stain did you use ? It has a warm mellow glow.

I don't know what kind of stain it is. When I bought it Tip had a couple of coats of stain and a couple of coats of linseed oil on it. I've added a coat of oil and it's ready for another one.

Thanks everybody for the compliments. Tip builds some nice solid guns.
I filed the sights in last week and it shot pretty good, but not as good of a groups as my .40 halfstock with the GM barrel. I'm headed back to the range early in the morning before it gets hot and I'm gonna try it with some spit patches. If they help this .50 as much as they helped the .40 I should see a difference. :wink:

fw,
Great looking rifle! Let us know if there is
an improvement with the spit patches.
snake-eyes:hmm:

snake-eyes, here's a target I shot this morning with the .50 caliber:

50calibergroups8-11-07003.jpg

The center target is a few shots I shot offhand, but the top and bottom groups were shot from a rest with a spit patch.
I didn't have a file or a punch with me today to do any adjustments, but I'm gonna make another trip to the range pretty soon to try and get the group where it belongs. Sorry, but that's the best I could do with these old eyes and the fuzzy sight picture. :redface:

Hey, great shootin. That's easily minute of deer, maybe even minute of squirrel.

Bill

What happens if you get scarred half to death, twice?

Back