• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a big box in the mail, today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You look like a kid on Christmas that got exactly what he wanted from Santa. Very nice rifle, I would love to have something like that.

It's been a pleasure speaking with you Bill & am happy it's found a good new caretaker.
Hope you get much enjoyment out of shooting this fine & very unusual Jaeger..
Relic shooter
Chuck, It is a pleasure chatting with you and the beginning of a great friendship. I will be a faithful conservator of that great rifle. It will only pass from my hands when I pass on and it will have a new conservator. We are temporary guardians of treasures like it.

The Swiss-Jaeger is one of a kind. When I have shown it to others they feel the magic. Anne is not really a "gun person" but she also feels a draw to it.

Harbor Freight has a sale on rifle cases. I had the Swiss-Jaeger in the car when I visited HF today. Was not sure it would fit. I asked the HF manager if I could bring a "long gun" into the store to see if it would fit. He paused a few moments and agreed.

I took it out of the gun sock you gave me and there was a silence in the store. I said that it was over 250 years old and likely was in the American Revolution fighting for our freedom. No-one tried to touch it, stared quietly but we all felt a reverence to a precious moment.

Possibly 12 generations have been its caretakers. It was around when all 46 presidents have been in office and it will still be a presence when you and I are dust. Honored to be part of it's grand legacy!

Last edited:
Chuck, It is a pleasure chatting with you and the beginning of a great friendship. I will be a faithful conservator of that great rifle. It will only pass from my hands when I pass on and it will have a new conservator. We are temporary guardians of treasures like it.

The Swiss-Jaeger is one of a kind. When I have shown it to others they feel the magic. Anne is not really a "gun person" but she also feels a draw to it.

Harbor Freight has a sale on rifle cases. I had the Swiss-Jaeger in the car when I visited HF today. Was not sure it would fit. I asked the HF manager if I could bring a "long gun" into the store to see if it would fit. He paused a few moments and agreed.

I took it out of the gun sock you gave me and there was a silence in the store. I said that it was over 250 years old and likely was in the American Revolution fighting for our freedom. No-one tried to touch it, stared quietly but we all felt a reverence to a precious moment.

Possibly 12 generations have been its caretakers. It was around when all 46 presidents have been in office and it will still be a presence when you and I are dust. Honored to be part of it's grand legacy!

Bill, the ML forum serves as a great communication link for those of us who value preserving our historical heritage to connect no matter where we're located on the planet.

It has been a pleasure meeting you & finding a new home for the Swiss Jaeger.
Had it not been for my age & physical inability to shoot long guns I would not part with it.
I will be posting my remaining favorite original Danish Jaeger & Fusil long guns that I've used to compete & hunt over the past 50 years in the near future & hope to find them good homes.
Of all the original English & European rifles I've owned & fired over the past 65 years, the percussion .70 cal. military Danish Jaeger by I.C. Haugaard in Kiobenhaven, gumaker to the Crown is the most consistently accurate PRB rifle I've ever owned & has won matches in several states.
Relic shooter

Shooting original 250 years plus rifle!

December 30, 2023. First time about shooting a muzzleloader. Went to Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville GA. Was worried about shooting a .70 cal rifle, started at 50grains, 60, and 70. Recoil was easy. Decided to shoot at 70 grains though the rifle should have used 85. Anyhow, shot a 3.5inch circle.

Gary Lucas from the Forum walked me though the process. Swab the bore with alcohol to clear out any possible residue.

Fill a powder measure. Lube a patch with Ballistrol (Mixed with water). place a ball on the patch and tap it down with a small hammer. Then put the ball on the short starter and get the ball and patch below the crown of the muzzle. Gather the patch material and cut, away from me, flush with the muzzle. Using the short rod on the short starter to push the ball about 6" into the barrel

Insert the range rod with the nylon adapter centered. Long, but firm strokes until it hit the charge. Take out the ram rod and drop it down the bore. It bounced meaning the ball was set. Also how much of the charge was there.

Move over to the bench. Keep the muzzle pointing at the bank. Don't want to have a 70 cal ball pointing up to the sky and coming down on someone!

Settle down on the bench. Pull the hammer back all the way. Set the trigger. Then keep the fingers out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot. Put a percussion cap on the nipple. Aim, breathe and shoot!
Whew!

Showed me to clean the gun and stow it away!

It was a delightful afternoon. Gary is a fantastic coach and I think I got the hang of it. Never would have exactly figured it out on my own. There is nothing like a "hands on" mentor! I owe him big time! He set me up with a set of tools, powder, patch material and a list of what I needed to shoot.

An unforgettable day with an unforgettable Gary Lucas!

Maybe, in time, I can be a mentor for a newbie? Love this sport/hobby! The best part is the warm, friendly, helpful, people!!

Attachments

• IMG_3956.JPEG
    IMG_3956.JPEG
    906.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3944.JPEG
    IMG_3944.JPEG
    558.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3947.JPEG
    IMG_3947.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3953.JPEG
    IMG_3953.JPEG